First spares on the new MES 30"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryanhoelzer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Converse, TX
This is my first rack of spares with the MES 30". They're 3.99 lb Smithfields from Wal-Mart at $2.18/lb, $8.70.

I used Durkee Chicken & Rib Rub and spritzed with apple juice every hour. I wanted to experiment with a longer cooking time (8 hours), and trying to keep them moist. I lost close to 100 degrees every time I opened the smoker but it was back to 220 in 10-15 minutes. It's down to about 29 today outside.

Here's a pic just going on the smoker. Note my custom curved rack to make a full rack fit in the 30" smoker.

sparesat0.jpg

Here's one after an hour.

sparesat1hr.jpg

After 5 hours

sparesat5hrs.jpg

After 8 hours

sparesat8hrs.jpg

I pulled them off at 8 hrs and sliced a couple and they were pretty good but I decided I wanted to try and get them a little more done. I didn't check the temp with the probe, just going by looks and it didn't seem like the fat had rendered down as much as I like. I ended up putting them back on for another hour and was happy with the results. I think next time I'll only spritz every 1.5 or 2 hrs.

Wow, I hate that I can't edit my own thread subject to add "with QView" or delete the thread and repost to add it..

I just took an old round rack I had from something else and bent a curve in it.. I think I'm going to look for something a little wider that will be a little taller. It's still a little tight. My other thought was to get a wider rack and put it in at an angle to gain space.

Looks good! If I read correctly about 9 hours and not as done as you might have'd liked.

I do a 3 - 1.5- .5 method at 230 in my MES. almost falling off the bone tender.

Keep trying and adjust to how you like.

Nice pics ryanhoelzer and congrats on your new MES.

The curved rack thingy may help smoke a whole rack without cutting, but it seems like a problem if you intend to foil the ribs in the cooking process. Of course there is a wide variety of opinions here at SMF on foil or not foil ribs. But most do foil. A lot of WSM owners form their rib racks into a half roll and tie with butcher string, or skewer. You can still foil the roll.

That's an interesting idea. I was actually going to try 3-2-1 on these but realized I didn't have enough foil.

My thought on that was if the foil is wrapped very tight, which it would probably have to be to curve them, the whole idea of steaming might not work as well. Probably fine but maybe not as consistent..

I think I might try the curved method and use 2 foil pans, 1 upside down on top for a lid for the foiled part. Should make a nice steamer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky