First Smoked Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walshs00

Original poster
Nov 23, 2018
South Jersey/Philly
I got a boneless shoulder just shy of 6 pounds the other day (expensive, I'll buy bone in next time). Just put on Lamberts Sweet Rub O Mine so it can sit for a little over 12 hours. Going to start around 6/6:30 tomorrow morning using the minion method, expecting 9/10 hours if all goes well. I'll post pictures later, Wish me luck.

Reactions: SonnyE
I'm in to watch this too!
I do the bone in.
But then, I like a deboning challenge as well.

The bone in (for next time) gives you an indicator, like those turkeys with a pop out thingamajig.
Only with the bone in, it's fall off the bone, you're done!
(Not everybody likes that, but I do.)

Don't forget the iced down beer for burned fingers. ;)
It's a Safety item. :rolleyes:

I'm in to watch this too!
I do the bone in.
But then, I like a deboning challenge as well.

The bone in (for next time) gives you an indicator, like those turkeys with a pop out thingamajig.
Only with the bone in, it's fall off the bone, you're done!
(Not everybody likes that, but I do.)

Don't forget the iced down beer for burned fingers. ;)
It's a Safety item. :rolleyes:

I stopped at flying fish brewery earlier and got a Crowler of a good amber ale to drink while I smoke. Now all I need is a good cigar. Plus I have a few southern tier in the fridge.

Reactions: SonnyE
I stopped at flying fish brewery earlier and got a Crowler of a good amber ale to drink while I smoke. Now all I need is a good cigar. Plus I have a few southern tier in the fridge.

:emoji_thinking: Would smoking your butt, and smoking a Cigar be considered... double smoking? :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Have a great day! (Well, you probably already did have a great day...) :emoji_laughing:

I got the smoker up to 250 and put the shoulder on around 6:45. From then until 3:30 I had nothing but temperature drops (it's not a great design, no grate in the charcoal pan). I checked the internal temperature periodically and it was clearly in the stall. I didn't feel like dealing the temperature fluctuations so I wrapped it in tin foil and put it in the oven @ 250 (I was already making baked beans at the same temp). I just checked the temperature and it was saying 80. But when I pulled it off the smoker it said 165. Bad reading??

Sounds like the thermometer may have switched from Fahrenheit to Celsius
LOL yup i must have hit the hidden button to celsius. What a rookie mistake haha. Ended up taking it out of the oven a little cooler than I should have but it still came out awesome. I had no problems shredding it with claws. I'll post a picture of that and the baked beans I made later tonight.

315A6862-1DA2-4C22-AD26-FE59BB9D31CD.jpeg
0002AD6D-E5EA-455E-881E-9A13C0C573C4.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky