First Smoked Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlrtym44

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Misawa Japan
AD3021F6-6C14-47EE-AAF4-0108F40A374B.jpeg
FDECBB16-C8A0-415B-B34A-27480B4B62F1.jpeg
1464624C-7B1A-4114-8F06-03E699EF8127.jpeg
I’ve been smoking for a good 15 yrs and for some reason never thought to do meatloaf. Thanks to this forum and the great ideas I saw, here it is.

We do alot of meatloaf. Burger, turkey & ham loaf. We really enjoy them. You’re looks really good. Happy eating

I did my first meatloaf on the Pellet Grill a few weeks ago, it was good but WAY to moist, need to dial back the wet ingredients next time. Yours turned out awesome!

Smoked meat loaf is on the menu here today, according to SWMBO.

I love a good smoked meatloaf. Yours looks to be really good.

Point for sure.

Chris

That looks damn good! I make a great normal meatloaf but smoking the same one is on a whole other level and out of this world!

I went as far as to buy a silicone bread mold to make individual meatloaves to cook for when I know I'm going to have a few guests or I want to freeze individual meal portions. Plus they cook faster if you desire that. It was a great idea, see below!

I do it on the mats as well. You get smoke on every square inch, and the meat doesn't "stew" in the juices. Of course I do put a pan underneath to catch those juices. :)

BTW, leftover smoked meatloaf is even better than when you first eat it. If you vacuum pack it and put it in the fridge for a few days, when you reheat it (making sure NOT to overheat it), the smoke flavor has mellowed and the result is amazing.

Reactions: chopsaw
That looks awesome, how long did it take and what temp did you cook at
It took about 4-5 hours. Smoker was at 225. Internal tempo to 160. I threw it in the oven at 350 to get the color on the outside I wanted. That got the internal to 165. Was perfect!

Reactions: dcecil
That's a good looking meatloaf. What's in it??
Gary
I'll try to remember what all I put in it! LOL
3 lbs 81% burger
Artesian garlic bread
salt
pepper
onion powder and chopped onion
green peppers
garlic powder
5 garlic cloves chopped
3 beef cubes crushed
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
a bit of cinnamon
Fresh Thai and regular basil
Paprika
Chili powder
Parsley
Worchester

I think that is all?! I don't really measure anything soooo. I pretty much know what spices I want to taste and which ones I just want to see a slight hint of. Like the cinnamon. My wife hates it. There was just enough for her to realize it was in there but not enough to make her hate. Next round I won't put it in, but wanted to give it a go.

Thanks all! Enjoy... More coming soon!

It took about 4-5 hours. Smoker was at 225. Internal tempo to 160. I threw it in the oven at 350 to get the color on the outside I wanted. That got the internal to 165. Was perfect!
Thanks for the info, I’m gonna give this a try

Meatloaf looks good! I do a lot of meatloaf, in fact I smoked one on Monday to eat for dinner the entire week.

I like to use a mixture of meat in mine, and like to have a good mushroom-based gravy/sauce. Here's my recipe. I adapted it to the smoker by putting the meat on a Q-Matz, and smoking at 250 in my MES until I got the IT called for in the recipe. If it isn't at temperature after three hours, I bring it inside and finish it in the oven. Three hours is plenty enough smoke.

Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup water
¼ oz. dried porcini mushrooms
16 square or 18 round saltines
10 oz. white mushrooms, trimmed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground pork
2 large eggs
1⅓ tablespoon Worcestershire
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
¾ teaspoon minced fresh thyme
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth

Heat oven to 375º.Microwave water & porcini mushrooms (1 minute). Sit until softened, (5 minutes). Remove porcini from bowl, mince & strain using coffee filter. Reserve ¾ cup.

Finely grind saltines in food processor. Transfer to bowl. Pulse half of white mushrooms in processor until finely ground, 8 to 10 pulses.

Brown onion in oil, 6-8 minutes. Add processed white mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until liquid evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to saltine bowl.

Combine beef, pork, eggs, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ cup reserved porcini liquid to cooled white mushroom– saltine mixture. Shape into 10x6" loaf in skillet. Bake to 160º, 45-55 minutes. Transfer to carving board. Tent with aluminum foil.

Thinly slice remaining white mushrooms. Keep 2 T. fat and heat until shimmering. Add sliced white mushrooms & porcini mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Stir in thyme and ¼ teaspoon salt., Cook until fragrant (30 seconds). Add flour and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in broth, ½ cup reserved porcini liquid, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slice meatloaf and serve with mushroom gravy.

Reactions: 73saint
Wonderful loaf there. Best thing about smoked meatloaf is that you don't have to prep days ahead...it can be spur of the moment.

Thanks for the share!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky