First Smoke on Masterbuilt Pro Series Dual Fuel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanOpi

Original poster
May 23, 2021
Hello,

I recently took a jump into the deep end and purchased the MB Pro Series Dual Fuel Smoker from Home Depot when it hit $100.

I've never smoked anything before but have always been interested and figured this was a good entry point to test the waters. I found this forum and have been reading through all the information to try and get a grasp of how to actually smoke my first pork shoulder.

I'm planning to smoke two boneless "pork shoulder butts" from Costco and have found a few recipes on how to get started. I'm going to start with a basic mustard binder + rub to keep things simple. Will tie them up as needed and then cook at 225° until they reach 160° and then wrap them until they hit 200°.

My biggest question or reason for posting is more so on the best practices/tips on how to use the MB. It seems like replacing the chunk/chip plate with a CI skillet is an unanimous suggestion and easy upgrade so I'm planning to do that and have it just sit on what's there.

Am planning on using some Weber Cherry Wood Chunks. How full do you fill the CI Skillet with chunks and do you come back and refill them throughout the cook? Just until it's wrapped?

Otherwise just throw some chunks in the CI skillet and fire up the propane, modify the vents once things are going to set the temperature and then just monitor it throughout the day? Keep the water pan filled up as well?

Throw the butts on the middle racks?

Any other cheap/simple mods that people suggest before diving into the more intensive pieces until I know what I'm doing/looking for?

Anyone used their dual fuel for both propane and charcoal on a consistent basis? Charcoal is probably just a bit harder to keep the temps consistent?

I did see two posts here about this smoker catching fire and it makes me a bit nervous so will be purchasing a fire extinguished to keep nearby as well.

Anyways, thanks for any tips and suggestions! Just wanted to ramble and throw questions out there before attempting my first cook.

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello,

I recently took a jump into the deep end and purchased the MB Pro Series Dual Fuel Smoker from Home Depot when it hit $100.

I've never smoked anything before but have always been interested and figured this was a good entry point to test the waters. I found this forum and have been reading through all the information to try and get a grasp of how to actually smoke my first pork shoulder.

I'm planning to smoke two boneless "pork shoulder butts" from Costco and have found a few recipes on how to get started. I'm going to start with a basic mustard binder + rub to keep things simple. Will tie them up as needed and then cook at 225° until they reach 160° and then wrap them until they hit 200°.

My biggest question or reason for posting is more so on the best practices/tips on how to use the MB. It seems like replacing the chunk/chip plate with a CI skillet is an unanimous suggestion and easy upgrade so I'm planning to do that and have it just sit on what's there.

Am planning on using some Weber Cherry Wood Chunks. How full do you fill the CI Skillet with chunks and do you come back and refill them throughout the cook? Just until it's wrapped? YES

Otherwise just throw some chunks in the CI skillet and fire up the propane, modify the vents once things are going to set the temperature and then just monitor it throughout the day? Keep the water pan filled up as well? YES

Throw the butts on the middle racks? YES

Any other cheap/simple mods that people suggest before diving into the more intensive pieces until I know what I'm doing/looking for?

Anyone used their dual fuel for both propane and charcoal on a consistent basis? Charcoal is probably just a bit harder to keep the temps consistent?

I did see two posts here about this smoker catching fire and it makes me a bit nervous so will be purchasing a fire extinguished to keep nearby as well. Good Choice!

Anyways, thanks for any tips and suggestions! Just wanted to ramble and throw questions out there before attempting my first cook.

Thanks!

Welcome to SMF! I answered a few of your questions.. scroll up and look for the bold answers hopefully others will chime in as well

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Welcome aboard from Mississippi. I use a MB gasser, not the dual fuel like yours, just a straight gas passer. I use a CI skillet and 1 maybe 2 chunks in it. You can line the water pan with foil. Also something you might want to think about......Putting an aluminum foil pan under the butts to catch drippings. Helps to keep your smoker clean and keeps down the chance of grease fires. Feel free to ask questions and remember...we like pics on here.
Jim

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky