First cook on WSM with BBQ Guru :-)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kenno 2429

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Minnesota
Well I have one cook under my belt on my new 22.5" WSM with BBQ Guru, Digi Q.  After watching several Youtube videos and talking with people around the forums, I ordered my WSM and Guru.  It was tough waiting for both to arrive and even more tough to have to wait out mother nature in Minnesota to cooperate to use it.  I fired up the smoker about 9am yesterday with some beef back ribs (first slab of those) and an 8lb boston butt.  Needless to say, with the Guru it was almost as simple as set it and forget it and come back later only to foil the ribs and eventually wrap the "butt" in foil.  The boston butt took almost 12 hours, the WSM cooked a little hotter than I normally would but I guess that's because it's brand new and has not been seasoned yet.  The taste....out of this world with one of the rubs from Jeff's book, Big Bald BBQ rub.  I injected with apple juice and included some of the dry rum in the apple juice, kept meat very moist.  Not much of a smoke ring on the meat but I think that will come in time and the more I use it.  I just ordered Jeff's Rib Rub and Sauce Recipe after much debate and hearing so much hype about it, I figured I better try it.  I am cooking for a couple different grad parties coming up and also a buddy's 40th birthday party so I figured I better get some "practice" in before them to see which rub I like the most.  Has anyone else used the Big Bald Rub from Jeff's Book and then tried Jeff's Naked Rib Rub?  Wanted to hear your experience or suggestions.  Thanks and smoke on

Kevin

Guns & Hoses BBQ (Find me on Facebook and like my page please) :-)

th_nopicsye3.gif

Well I have one cook under my belt on my new 22.5" WSM with BBQ Guru, Digi Q.  After watching several Youtube videos and talking with people around the forums, I ordered my WSM and Guru.  It was tough waiting for both to arrive and even more tough to have to wait out mother nature in Minnesota to cooperate to use it.  I fired up the smoker about 9am yesterday with some beef back ribs (first slab of those) and an 8lb boston butt.  Needless to say, with the Guru it was almost as simple as set it and forget it and come back later only to foil the ribs and eventually wrap the "butt" in foil.  The boston butt took almost 12 hours, the WSM cooked a little hotter than I normally would but I guess that's because it's brand new and has not been seasoned yet.  The taste....out of this world with one of the rubs from Jeff's book, Big Bald BBQ rub.  I injected with apple juice and included some of the dry rum in the apple juice, kept meat very moist.  Not much of a smoke ring on the meat but I think that will come in time and the more I use it.  I just ordered Jeff's Rib Rub and Sauce Recipe after much debate and hearing so much hype about it, I figured I better try it.  I am cooking for a couple different grad parties coming up and also a buddy's 40th birthday party so I figured I better get some "practice" in before them to see which rub I like the most.  Has anyone else used the Big Bald Rub from Jeff's Book and then tried Jeff's Naked Rib Rub?  Wanted to hear your experience or suggestions.  Thanks and smoke on

Kevin

Guns & Hoses BBQ (Find me on Facebook and like my page please) :-)
When you say you ordered "[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  I ordered my WSM and Guru" what did you get from Guru your digital therm? If so what model? I looked on there yesterday and they a several to pick from.[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I am using a Brinkman smoker right now (with some of the mods I read on here to do, but hoping to move to the WSM 22 on Father's day (my daughter loves my smoking already so I know she wants me to the best equipment)[/color]

I ordered the digi Q but kind of wish I would have went with the wifi model. You can have up to three different meat probes going to monitor three different items at the same time. This is my first guru and there is nothing wrong with the Digi Q, a lot of teams on the competition scene use them, and I can see why after the first use.

Reactions: kerstingm
I tried this one without mopping and it was very tender and juicy. One I obtained the bark I was looking for I wrapped it in a foil pan with some apple juice in the bottom of pan. Came out very nice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky