First car.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hogfan40

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
NW Arkansas
Not much to do with BBQ, but just like post's like this ever now and then. What was your first car when you turned 16 years old.

Mine was a:

63 Plymouth Fury here, 2 door no post, with a 383 wedge, color was Fire engine red.

Mopar power, no air condition either, i remeber going out on dates when it was hot outside, the girl's makeup would start running due to the like of air condtioned air. LOL

Still have the car and in the process of rebuilding, i blew it up drag racing the local fast hot rod.

And yes, i did win the last race of the engines life.

1978 Cadillac Coupe D' Ville. loved that V-8
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

A '56 Pontiac Chieftan - I remember there was about 3 feet clearance between the grill and radiator. I literally drove it until the wheels fell off. When that happened, I turned off the motor, got out, and walked away.

70 Challenger RT, 383 Magnum, 4 speed, factory in-dash 8 track, no power steering, no a/c. Fast but not as fast as my 2nd car which was a 70 GTX 440-six pack 4 speed. Of all the cars I've owned since, the challenger still remains my favorite though.

when I turned 16 my parents let me use a white '67 impala 2 door. while I drove that I was saving money to buy my first car, a '67 camaro. It had bucket seats but had a column shifter. if we had a crystal ball back then man all the cars we could have now. the cars that got junked, turned into stock cars, etc.

Wow Hogfan, my first car was ALSO a Plymouth Fury. 4 door, 383 with a three on the tree and a 411 rear end. Ugly dark green in color but it was fast, loud and spacious inside
icon_smile.gif

Bought it for $300 with a blown head gasket. Fixed the gasket and ran it for 3K miles and blew the engine. My neighbor was a GM for an oil company, it head told that Shell gas was the problem. He called the head of Shell for me and they sent me a check for $1K. Had the engine rebuilt and pumped up, new interior and body and paint work. The thing was a beast. Could pin my speedo at 160+ MPH.

I bought a used work van, it was a Ford Aerostar with no windows or seats in the back, put a carpet in there, a mattress and a small table with a couple of chairs and hung up a bunch of posters.
It was quite the party mobile.
Thanks to that van "Berry Berry Commando" was born, a pink bear with purple camouflage who would chase people off his land and catch squirrels for breakfast. We even had a song about him which I forgot.
LSD is a hell of a thing
eek.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
tongue.gif

I was 16 and it was 1931 Ford Model A Coupe. The engine was a Chevy 283 small block V8, with 2 speed Hydromatic tranny, White Button Tuck bench seat. This is how the car was setup when I bought it for $500 in 1967. The wheels where white side walls with baby moon rims. Talk about a car that girls wanted to ride in this was it. I would cruise in front of our high school with the rumble seat open, girls would jump in , and once that was full, 2 more would squeeze in front with me. Drive down to either the Dairy Queen or A&W, buy the girls a root beer or ice cream cone, would usually have a date for Friday night.

Yeah those V-8's were awesome.

The car I took my driving test with was a 1960 white Cadillac Sedan with fins. And yes we had to parallel park in those days.

I didn't have my own car at 16. Drove the Caddy a bit through high school. In college I had a Rambler Ambassador. V-8 and 4 barrel carb. A boxy car but when you hit the accelerator the car lifted up and took off like a rocket.

My first vehicle had my Dad's company logo on it and I just got to drive it alittle after work sometimes. But I bought my own car it was a Chevy Camaro rally sport with a 350 in it and it was really in mint condition. A real babe magnet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky