First Butt / Shoulder - new MES30 with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stango

Original poster
OH boy !!  Here goes my first big butt.  7.14 lbs.  Washed, dried, oiled, rubbed, rested, ready to go.   I am putting this on at noon and expecting some time after midnight.  225 with JD Oak barrel wood.    If it goes all night that is fine too ! My first try at pics too!

Here is a little table / stand I made for my MES 30 too.

Hope this works.... if not I will try to edit it....

I will post progress as I go.  Thanks y'all for all the tips.

I'll be watching & waiting..  
110.gif

pepsi.gif

7 hours in now....... 168 degrees.  looking good though..... I am hoping for 200 by hour 12

Question:  Do I need to keep smoke going or is it of no added value after some point in time ?

Last edited:
9 hours in and now at 177.  I stopped adding wood.  All told I used JD Oak, Hickory and Apple.  I bumped the temp up to 230.  Cant wait. 

New question.  Lets say I take this off at midnight at 200 degrees.  Do I have to let it rest and pull it before I go to sleep or can I hold it till morning some how ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
How long are you going to sleep?
biggrin.gif
 FTC, foil towel cooler will keep it good for 5 or 6 hours. You just don't want it to drop below 140*, that puts you back in the danger zone and then it needs to get back under 40* pretty quick. Much easier to pull while it's still hot and then get it in the fridge or freezer.

10 hours in..... temp now 182 meaning I am going up about 5 degrees per hour.  Midnight would then be 192 if temp rise continues.  I will let it rest about 30 min, pull it, fridge it,  then go to sleep !! (the pork I mean)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky