First Butt on the MBGS 800

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bcaruthers

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
Nampa, Idaho
I got a 8 to 9 pound bone-in Boston butt on the MBGS 800 right now (I should’ve weighed it after trimming). I scored the fat cap and rubbed it down with a little Sucklebusters SPG and Hog Waller. I placed it fat cap up and set the temp to 240 F. I have Royal Oak Lump mixed with hickory and apple wood chunks in the hopper. I plan to start spritzing with 50/50 apple cider vinegar and apple juice after three hours. Check to see if the fat has rendered around 165 F and then wrap with butcher paper and place the pork in a pan. Once it reaches 195 F, start checking for tenderness. Rest for an hour to two hours in a cooler. When I pull it, I’m going to try Soflaquer’s finishing sauce on it.
A38E7A44-941C-4DF0-AE3A-51078BF6D122.jpeg

Last edited:
I finally got it wrapped! It stalled out at 150 F for several hours and I was waiting for the fat to render before wrapping.
9AD0AE90-234F-48BE-A6BC-11B6F7189D20.jpeg

Reactions: negolien
Sorry everyone , I forgot to take a pic of the finished product. It had good flavor but was a little tough. One thing I didn’t notice until I pulled it was that it was boneless. Must’ve been tagged incorrectly at the store. The finishing sauce was great. Being originally from North Carolina, I needed a little more of a vinegar based sauce. So, I put some Blues Hog Tennessee Red on the pork on my plate. With the added sauce the flavor was spot on.

Lessons Learned:
- Start earlier. I rushed it some and ended up with pork that was not at my desired tenderness (no one else noticed it).
- Double check what I’m buying at the store to make sure it is bone-in.
- Don’t forget to grab the cooler from the wife’s car the night before (We ran by storage yesterday afternoon while we were running errands and I spaced getting it out of her car until she had already left for work).

All in all it was a good smoke. The family was happy and that is all that really matters. Got a brisket trimmed and rubbed down in the fridge as we speak. So, stay tuned for tomorrow’s smoking adventure.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky