First Burger Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

terryd

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Covington, Va
I've neglected my smoker for almost a year now.  After we bought the new house we did a smoker full of baby backs, but have not used but twice since then, and then only as a grill.  We tried to have a cook out last weekend and invite some friends over.  Basically just spend some time with friends we don't get to see much.  It was a horrible failure, but this is about the food!

I decided I wanted to smoke the food instead of just grilling it.  Since the fare was going to be burgers I wanted to give them a shot when I would have some good taste buds to impress. 

First we took a couple lbs of burger (85/10) and mixed in Julie's home brew seasoning and about 8 slices of cooked bacon.  Patted them out into 1/4lb patties and put them in the fridge.  Next we put a large can of Wal-Mart brand baked beans into our 10" cast iron pan.  Julie added ketchup, brown sugar, onion, and bacon to them to jazz them up some. 

Next came about an hour and a half on the smoker at around 225*F using lump/briquette charcoal and a few lumps of hickory wood for fuel.  It took a little longer than I feel it should have.  I'm out of practice with it, so I didn't have enough fuel in the fire box and lost the heat in the last 15 minutes of the first hour.  I added some fuel and a few more lumps of hickory, the temperature came back up, and they were all done in about 30 minutes more than I had planned. 

Here's the Que-view of it all. 

I ate my burger with a little mayo, mustard, kosher dill slice, tomato, lettuce and a slice of pepper jack cheese. 

The burgers were awesome.  As it's been said before, I doubt I will EVER grill a hamburger again.  Absolutely the best burger I've ever had.  The smoked beans were amazing too.  We are doing it all again this weekend for our youngest daughter's 1st birthday and the only thing we are going to change is using our rib rub recipe instead of the seasoning mix in the burger meat. 

Last edited:
There is nothing like a smoked burger - even better if you stuff them first - 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky