First brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

THutson67

Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
Indiana
My first try. I had a 9.3 lb brisket flat given to me. You can ignore the butt, it was a backup plan. Kosher salt and coarse pepper first, a sprinkling of BBQ rub, then some Montreal Steak seasoning. Went on around midnight, pit Boss Classic set on smoke, P2 at about 220*. I mixed 3 parts pecan to 1 part cherry in the hopper and a smoke tube full of cherry. I wrapped in peach butcher paper at about 160* and went to P1 (about 240*) (not sure I liked the bottom with wrap, first time wrapping anything.). Then let it go to 202* and probed easily. Pulled off around 1:30 pm and wrapped paper and all in 2 layers of foil, wrapped in a towel and rested in a cooler for about 4 hours. Came out pretty nice, but if you have any advice, I'm all ears (yeah, I know I need a real slicing knife, lol.)
20210204_191902.jpg

I never ignore a butt! Tell us about it also. That brisket looks darn good. I wouldnt turn it down.
Jim
Never ignore the butt. The brisket looks good.

Thanks! I figured since I posted in "beef" that I should stick to that. LOL. Not my first butt, but the first I've wrapped at the stall (butcher paper, won't do it again.) It was also a 9 pounder. I just used "Rub Some Butt" and a bit of "Touch of Cherry" rubs. It was actually done around 10:30 am, so it ended up as lunch, even though I only got to rest a little over an hour. Again, I definitely didn't like the wrap on it, made the bottom kinda mushy and killed the bark there, but it turned out well other than that. Definitely have leftovers for a few days.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great to me! Your knife looks like it cut it just fine!

Ryan
It cut okay, but pretty short, also tore the bottom of the slices some. But... I'd been watching YouTube videos and seems like they always get these perfect slices.

My only comment would be to watch out for "carry over" cooking.
When you wrap and place in a cooler the meat continues to cook for at least an hour and it's easy to end up with overdone meat,
If it was tender at 202 and jiggled like jello when you pulled it, it was done and needed to rest uncovered on a counter for before slicing.
It can be a tricky game balancing when to pull as opposed to when it's perfectly done and how long it needs to rest, covered or uncovered before slicing.,

Looks great. Now pile some of those slices with some of that pork high on a nice toasted bun and you got yourself a great sandwich base!

Reactions: THutson67
Nice work! Off to a great start! My first couple were not great. Congrats on a win with your first.

For a first try, it sure looks like you are a pro. Very nice!

I understand your hestitation about the flavor of wrapped meats...I don't mind it too much if they are wrapped too long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky