First brisket on the new smoker.....(well 2 year old smoker...)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Went by sams to grab a prime rib to dry age for steaks this summer and they had a great price on prime grade brisket so grabbed one as well!

Trimmed it up and rubbed it with yellow mustard then added our home made rub. No pics sorry. Wrapped in plastice over night and ready for the smoker the next morning. Started the gravity grill at 4am. Put the brisket on at 4:45am. Smoker was preheated to 235f but my probes were showing it a little cool on my second grate so raised the setpoint to 245f.
Image_5353.jpg

7 hours in:
image_5354.jpeg

Ended up cooking a lot faster then I expected. 10.5 hours or so. Pulled it off then wrapped in butcher paper that I added beef tallow to.(First time I have done this. Not sure if it helped but the result was fantastic.)
Left it on till it was probe tender using a wood skewer over the whole thing. Another 1-2 hours. Let it rest in my cooler wrapped in towels for 3 hours.

image_5355.jpeg

image_5356.jpeg

image_5357.jpeg

Best brisket I have ever made. I used 50% apple cider vinegar, 50% water and spritz every hour or so. Was a little sweeter then I would have liked so a little less spritzing next time but otherwise was amazing.

I doubt he is on here but I would like to thank Jeremy, aka Mad scientist BBQ for his you tube videos. Gave me lots of ideas and guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on making it comparatively faster and better. Hope next time you would manage your choice between a little sweet and a more spicy one. Keep enjoying and sharing your recipes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky