First Beef Smoke Ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

katemail13

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
SE Utah
Hi again, all.

Today, I smoked my first beef ever. It was beef loin bottom sirloin tri-tip pieces from Sam's Club. They were already cut into convenient (or not?) log-like strips by the folks at Sam's. The pieces were about 2 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches by between 9 and 14 inches. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of them before I did anything to them.

At 10:00 this morning, I rinsed them, patted them dry, and sprinkled them with rub (I used the homemade rub I always use for pork, but without the brown sugar). I covered them, and put them back in the fridge.

At 4:00pm, I started the smoker (MES30), and heated it to 180. I put in the beef pieces, without smoke for 45 minutes (I read somewhere that I should cook it some first to dry out the surface a bit). It never dried, but was getting up there in temperature, so I started the smoke. I chose hickory, because it's what I have the most experience with. Here is half the meat, just before I put it in the smoker.

2017-11-16_First_smoked_beef_ever_1.1_before_smoker.jpg

At first, I was worried, because the smoke seemed way too dense, but it quickly calmed down to a nice TBS. I've never STARTED the smoke while the meat was in there...I've always just waited for the smoke to be thin and blue, then put in the food.

In any case, after just about 2 hours, the beef was done. I pulled it out of the smoker at 138°F. I put it in a baking pan, and covered it with foil to rest while I made macaroni and cheese.

2017-11-16_First_smoked_beef_ever_2.1_perfect.jpg

2017-11-16_First_smoked_beef_ever_3.1_perfect.jpg

I cannot imagine it having been much more perfectly cooked, and my husband and I LOVED it! Thank you, all, who offered help and suggestions! I count this a HUGE success.

My only notes to self: Slightly less rub next time. Gotta remember I'm not trying for a crust in such a short time...just adding a bit of tasty flavor.

That looks great and I have a weakness for mac n cheese lol.

Wait until you try some beef with your Mesquite chips. If you can control/get good smoke then WOW you will be amazed!
I use the AMNPS (A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker) with 100% Mesquite pellets so I get instant TBS. That perfect Mesquite smoke on my beef is out of this world!

Nice smoke! There’s no need to dry the meat in the smoker before adding smoke. If you were making sausage or jerky that step is used. For standard meat cooks not needed.

Thanks, again, everyone! I love the support and help given here at SMF...It's been super helpful in learning!

tallbm - I'm assuming that to use my AMNPS in a hot smoke (I've only used it to cold-smoke cheese), I would just heat the MES30 without chips, and start the pellets for the actual smoke?

Katie

Thanks, again, everyone! I love the support and help given here at SMF...It's been super helpful in learning!

tallbm - I'm assuming that to use my AMNPS in a hot smoke (I've only used it to cold-smoke cheese), I would just heat the MES30 without chips, and start the pellets for the actual smoke?

Katie

Katie you are correct, you would heat the MES and not use chips. You would start the pellets in the AMNPS outside of the smoker for 10 continuous minutes of flame, blow the flame out, and place the AMNPS inside your MES. You may want to shield your pellets from drips. The image below can give you the idea.

Also many report pulling out the chip loader halfway (or other varying degrees of "out"), so that air can flow into the MES and allow the pellets to get oxygen to burn.

Finally, you will want to light the pellets with something like a propane torch to get them going.
I also microwave my pellets for 1 minute, wait for 2 min, then mix the pellets around and microwave them again for 1 min. This zaps any unseen humidity from the pellets helping them to burn rather then snuff out. Also don't use any water in the water pan :)

Let me know if you have any questions about this. I'm sure me or someone else can help you out with the AMNPS, MES, and hot smoking :)
index.php

Reactions: katemail13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky