Firebox thickness?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gobbo

Original poster
Aug 25, 2023
Hi guys, in the process of building a 172 gallon offset, will a 3mm 1/8" thick fire box be ok or what are the advantages of going heavier gauge steel?

Hi guys, in the process of building a 172 gallon offset, will a 3mm 1/8" thick fire box be ok or what are the advantages of going heavier gauge steel?
I wouldn't go less than 1/4 in ...... preferably 3/8 on a firebox if I were doing a build. The thicker steel offers better heat retention and won't rust out anywhere near as fast.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
1/4” would be my minimum. For close to 200 gal. You will need some fire, that could warp the 1/8” steel. Just my o2.

Reactions: DougE
Sounds like DougE DougE has you covered. The firebox is always the first thing to rust, so it’s always better to have extra thickness if you can to minimize warp, hold and even out heat, and last longer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky