• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stango

Nov 13, 2012
15 hours at 225, Hickory, off at 205, rest, pull, finishing sauce, yummmmmmmmm.  The finishing sauce is just right.... except the little seeds from the pepper flakes get stuck in the squirter dohicky....... minor inconvenience for the taste.  If y'all havent tried this you must.

smokeusum

Smoking Fanatic
Jan 13, 2013
Is finishing sauce the same thing as Eastern Carolina style BBQ? It's a straight up vinegar base, and for lack of a different adjective, sauce. The recipes I've seen here are almost identical to what I get locally, bottled, a standard where I live -vinegar, salt, pepper, brown sugar, pepper flakes, garlic and onion powder, a dash of hot sauce?

redwood carlos

Smoking Fanatic
Mar 12, 2013
I stumbled upon this searching for a way to make some sauce since I am out on the west coast (good luck with finding some out here). Any way, holy crap thank you! thank you! thank you! Now what about those rubs? j/k

Anyhow I guess I'll be hanging around here from time to time since I love to BBQ. Thanks guys.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
This looks like a good light sauce for the finish . You just can't go wrong with a little Tony C powder.  I've got a nine pounder on the grate since 6pm yesterday that I'm going to try it on. I'll pull the pig and add this as I go. Then pile it on cheap whities with slaw. Bet I can find a good slaw dressing on this marvelous site. b

fornstar

Mar 24, 2013
Is finishing sauce the same thing as Eastern Carolina style BBQ? It's a straight up vinegar base, and for lack of a different adjective, sauce. The recipes I've seen here are almost identical to what I get locally, bottled, a standard where I live -vinegar, salt, pepper, brown sugar, pepper flakes, garlic and onion powder, a dash of hot sauce?

This is just like eastern N.C. BBQ sauce used for pulled pork. My family has been making that for generations, without the Tony's though. Can't even begin to count how many whole hogs I have mopped with that sauce.

New to the site and glad someone shared it. IMHO, if you have done pulled pork without it then you did it wrong. But, you know what they say about opinions.

Matt

Mar 18, 2013
I used this finishing sauce this weekend and the "tasters" all were pleased with the results. I only changed the recipe slightly as I added some of the drippings to the finishing sauce.

Great stuff!

jmccrack

Apr 7, 2013
Anyone try using this as a mop while cooking ribs? Or would the sugar content cause it to burn?

motochief

Fire Starter
Dec 15, 2012
I used this Finishing Sauce this weekend and really enjoyed it. I will be using it again, and again, and again.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
JMC

I use the F Sauce as a mop. No issues with burning 

schmutte

May 3, 2013
Great Finishing Sauce. I made it this weekend with two shoulders and it was fantastic. I had my neighbors asking for the recipe. I will make that every time I fire up the smoker now. It will be a staple in my house. Very easy to make too. Thank you for sharing. 

steve-o90

Fire Starter
May 1, 2013
Hey Jeff !!!! Is this rub like similar to the squeezy bottles u use at like Sonnys n pit boss

motochief

Fire Starter
Dec 15, 2012
I made my own finishing sauce tonight. Here it is:

1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar 

2 Tbsp Brown Sugar

1 Tsp red Pepper flakes (crushed)

1/2 Tsp Sea Salt

1/4 Tsp Black Pepper

1/2 Cup Drippings 

Heat vinegar to near boiling, add brown sugar. Stir. Remove from heat add everything else, stir well. 

I like it a lot, and I will use this one again. 

rtbbq2

Master of the Pit
Mar 2, 2012
https://statich.smokingmeatforums.com/c/c8/c82ee4d3_Randyfinsihingsauce.msword
Here is my sauce that I use on beef and pork....Great for mopping dipping and drinking through a straw...Lol
439.gif

hfitch

Oct 13, 2012
going to be giving this a try when I do a bunch of pulled pork for my niece's grad party. Quick question, with the original recipe using 1 c. cider vinegar, how many pounds of meat would you recommend that for? Need to know if I need to double or triple the batch for my amount of finished product : )

Jun 12, 2013
After reading all the glowing reviews of this sauce i finally checked the recipe to see what it was made of.  To my pleasant suprise it's essentially a Carolina sauce. The basic Eastern NC sauce is simply Vinegar, Salt, Red Pepper flakes, and Black Pepper. Some folks add Brown Sugar to it,myself included.  Havent tried the Tony's spices in it but i'm sure that would be good.  My typical sauce is vinegar, salt, black pepper, red pepper, brown sugar, and a couple of dashes of Texas Pete. 

If you want to bump this up to a Lexington style NC sauce just add some catsup and a little more sugar.

nekramp

Smoke Blower
Nov 30, 2011
Thinking of making this sauce for the weekend. I was just wondering if I made it tonight if i could store it until than.  One would think you could since nothing in it really expires.  Just wondering if it looses flavor or anything?  What are you guys and girls doing? Making it before hand or making it and using it right away?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky