Finally Scored My Monster Turkey Breasts!! (1 Pic)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
There's a small chain of BBQ restaurants in the Austin area that actually does a pretty good job on their food but the only thing I'll go in for is their smoked turkey breast. Every time they pull one of those things out of the hot box I am in awe. They are HUGE!! For years I've been looking for them and finally came to the conclusion that they are available only through food service suppliers, not at any of the grocery stores. I contacted Sysco, U.S. Foods, Restaurant Depot, and any other restaurant supplier I could find. Nada...nothing...they do not sell to the public. Matter of fact, the lady I spoke with at Sysco was downright rude. I told her what I was looking for and she asked if I owned a restaurant, to which I replied no. Well, she said "we don't even talk to the public" and hung up on me. Turns out that what I've been looking for was right under my nose for the past several years. I was in my little pub last Thursday and chatting with the lead cook. Mentioned to him what I was looking for. He pulled his phone out of his pocket, called his food sales rep, confirmed availability, and voila!! They were on his next order, which came in yesterday. Here they are

005.jpg

These things are 9# each and absolutely gorgeous!! I paid wholesale for them (exactly what the pub paid) and they came out to $3.70 per pound. I couldn't have been happier. Probably gonna cut each of them in half and vac seal the halves. 9# of turkey breast is a lot of sammies!! :emoji_laughing: Hey Ricky C (@woodwindricky ) knowing how much you and Connie love poultry, you may wanna take a look at these. The first thing I thought of was doing one on the rotisserie but that's still a LOT of turkey at one time. If I cut them the right way though I can probably still do half of one on the rotisserie. Oh well....I'll figger that out. I'm just thrilled to finally have them.

Woo hoo!!
Robert

I wonder if the turkeys that provided those breasts spent some time at Biogenesis of America:emoji_astonished::emoji_sunglasses:. Those things are huge!!!

Enjoy cooking them Robert...I see some excellent turkey sandwiches in your near future.

Chris

chilerelleno chilerelleno Mae West, more like Dolly Parton.

Thanks everybody!! Looking forward to cooking something...probably this weekend and posting it.

On a different note, I think I also found those elusive "Behemoth Beef Ribs" that Chile recently posted. I'll know for sure later today. Problem with those is that they come in cases of 50 to 60 pounds per case. That's more ribs than I really need at one time. I bet I can find a couple friends to split a case with me though :-) Those will be coming from a different source and will keep folks posted as information comes available

Robert

Reactions: chilerelleno
Geez man those things are huge! I'm gonna have to see if I can get my hands on some of those up here. Cant wait to see the results!

On a different note, I think I also found those elusive "Behemoth Beef Ribs" that Chile recently posted. I'll know for sure later today. Problem with those is that they come in cases of 50 to 60 pounds per case. That's more ribs than I really need at one time. I bet I can find a couple friends to split a case with me though :-) Those will be coming from a different source and will keep folks posted as information comes available

Robert
I wish we were neighbors, or at least lived near each other.
I'd split it with you.

Yowza! Those are huge!! Dolly popped in my mind first.

I have a friend who is a US Foods rep, I’ll have to inquire with him about these.

I could get the butterball turkey roasts but they’re only 3lbs.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Man, the wife and I love smoked turkey breast, and the leftovers make great sammies!

I get some nice ones from a local grocery store but they are no way 9#....nice score.

And like Chile wish we lived closer as I would be in on those ribs also.

John

Dolly who?
Mae had way more pure sex appeal.

Mae....Dolly....My ex-wife. She was 5' 4" tall and weighed about 110 pounds. Probably 40 pounds of that was boneless breasts. Man, that fondles..er..uh conjures up some fond pretty mammaries...I mean memories :emoji_astonished:

I better get out of here. I'm about to get myself in trouble

I'll be back real soon though,
Robert

I hope they don't taste like Silicon!!

Yah, me too. Supposedly these are 5-star restaurant quality so I can hope they just taste like turkey :emoji_laughing: The sad part is that I can't get my head around the idea of a 5-star restaurant serving a meal consisting of sliced turkey. I suppose they could cut it into large pieces but what the heck would you do with them insofar as creating something of that caliber? Who knows? I'm just happy to have them finally and plan to do something interesting this weekend....barring Tracy blowing my idea out of the water with some odd-ball plan she comes up with :emoji_wink:

Counting down the days,
Robert

I wish we were neighbors, or at least lived near each other.
I'd split it with you.

I wish we were neighbors too, for a lot more food related reasons than just the ribs!! OMG, we could drive the rest of the folks in the community (all 5 families) absolutely crazy :emoji_wink:

Robert

I could get the butterball turkey roasts but they’re only 3lbs.

I used to get them but got so frustrated I gave up on them 8 or 10 years ago. I'd get one decent sized piece of breast meat and a bunch of little bitty pieces to round the package out to 3 pounds. It was really disappointing, and the stuff was expensive!! Be careful though. They have two different types of breasts packaged in identical packages. One is boneless (the one with all the little pieces), the other is not. I made that mistake once :emoji_wink:

Robert

Decided to go ahead and cut the breasts in half. I just can't see myslef ever needing 9 pounds of turkey at one time, and if that time comes, I can always just cook two of therm.

Here they are out of the packages
006.jpg

Cut in half
007.jpg

Vac sealed and ready to go into the freezer
008.jpg

You get the idea of the full enormity of these things in relation to the pans they're in. Those are full sized roasting pans. All are in the freezer but I'll get one out Friday if Tracy doesn't drop any bombshells in my lap between now and then.

Pub time!!
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky