FINALLY got to do my first smoke. Qview.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kb69co

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
*I finally got to try out my new Smoke Hollow 4-in-1 and 22.5WSM. I have had them for over a month but work schedule and weather did not cooperate. Yesterday I finally got my fix and tried them both out.

On the Menu,

2 8.5lb Boston Butts

Chicken legs

Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans

SQUIWB's Mac'n'cheese

Grilled Veggie's.

One of the Butt's injected with Apple juice, rubbed down with McCormick Applewood rub and Brown Sugar. (not sure I like this rub).

Started the WSM at 1:00 in the morning. Butt's went on at 2:00. Smoked at 235* with the BBQ Guru. Ran hot at first (250*) so I closed the top vent part way and it held 235* until the sun came up. Then opened the vent back up and it held 235* great. 

In the afternoon I started the Smoke Hollow for the chicken. Injected the chicken with STUBBS Texas Butter, then rubbed with McCormick chicken rub. Smoked at 275* for about 2 1/2 hours until internal temp of 267*.

The Butt's went about 14 hours until internal temp of 195*. double wrapped and put to rest for 1 1/2 hour. Pulled good, came out pretty tender. I mopped 3 times with 50/50 Apple juice/Apple cider Vinegar. I think next time I will wrap them at about 165* and not mop for an easier Bark.

The finished product.

The Chicken and Beans. The Beans were AWESOME. I did leave the "heat" out so the kids could enjoy them. Substituted BBQ sauce for the ketchup.

Mac'N'Cheese and the Veggies. The Mac'n'cheese was really good but a lot of work. I would recommend after putting the noodles in the pan and pouring the sauce over them stir it up. I didn't and it was really good but kind of cheese overload on the top 3/4 inch.

Had my Parent's and in laws over to taste test and several of my son's High School friends. got no complaints and everyone enjoyed it. I enjoyed the food but had a blast getting to finally try my hand at slow smoking.

good deal... glad you enjoyed it.. addicted now ?... and so many things you learned from your first smoke... try to keep a well detailed diary of each smoke.. you'll be amazed at the help that will give you in the future...

Thanks, guys and yes, addicted. I found some log pages for smoking on a site that I printed off and made a book with the logs and recipes. recorded everything. It turned out good but I have some ideas to make it better. Plus the more I use my smokers the more I will learn about the temp patterns and Quirks of each one. I brought the left overs into work tonight for my crew to sample. I think it is going to be a happy crew.

If you have never tried Dutch's baked beans or SQUIWB's Mac and Cheese I highly recommend both. The mac is some work but the payoff was worth it. When I was melting and stirring the cheese's I thought to myself "I am never doing this again". But after I tried it I definitely will make it again.

2thumbs.gif
 Very nice! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky