FEEL LIKE BRISKET TONIGHT!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olecrosseyes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 16, 2007
Hawkeye State, DSM
Well actually for din din tomorrow.

Not sure if it was here on a thread that I picked up on the “Lobel’s of New York” brisket with dry rub and mopping sauce, maybe yes?

Any hu, I picked up a prime packer from Sams in July last year. 17 lb-6 oz. Price was missed marked as I can’t believe even here a prime during the heat of last summer would have briskies below $3/pound.

I saw a recipe above for briskie and thought what the L, and Y not. Dry rubbed using Lea and Perrins for a binder and had the smoker started @ 9pm. Put the brisket in @ 9:35. Going to mop it every 45 minutes to an hour early on then use the tallow that I am rendering for a splash or two till I wrap in in butcher paper that will be smeared with the talo till probe tender.

It’s 11:30 and the lids are already heavy!

Wish Me Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Here are a couple of questions, talo in the making and the other is just before she entered the smoker.

Attachments

• 20210327_211219.jpg
    20210327_211219.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210327_211238.jpg
    20210327_211238.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 17
Well actually for din din tomorrow.

Not sure if it was here on a thread that I picked up on the “Lobel’s of New York” brisket with dry rub and mopping sauce, maybe yes?

Any hu, I picked up a prime packer from Sams in July last year. 17 lb-6 oz. Price was missed marked as I can’t believe even here a prime during the heat of last summer would have briskies below $3/pound.

I saw a recipe above for briskie and thought what the L, and Y not. Dry rubbed using Lea and Perrins for a binder and had the smoker started @ 9pm. Put the brisket in @ 9:35. Going to mop it every 45 minutes to an hour early on then use the talo that I am rendering for a splash or two till I wrap in in butcher paper that will be smeared with the talo till probe tender.

It’s 11:30 and the lids are already heavy!

Wish Me Luck!
Good luck!

Sorry for not returning to this thread till tonight.

17 - 6oz Prime grade from Sams Club, trimmed off at most maybe 5 pounds of fat. Trimmed rather tight.

Brisket went into the GOSM gasser running at a constant 225 to 231 degrees all rubbed up @ 9:00 pm last night. didn't vary much at all. I love the needle valve mod I did! Black cherry and hickory was smelling really good! I mopped it about every 45 minutes or so. Geeze my lids were heavy early but I persevered for as long as I could. About 3:00 am I had been rendering the fat down to its purest liquid form of tallow. Just fat in the pan to simmer with nothing else to aid it. @ about 4:00 am temp was a low 140s and I used the tallow to mop once.

4:30 I had to lay back in the recliner, set the alarm for 6 am.
Up at 6 :oo am and dragged my arse out to see where it was at and I saw a 157 IT. Great, rolled out the butcher paper 3-1/2 x's its length and smeared some tallow over half of it. Laid the brisket on the paper and lightly added tallow over it and wrapped it up laid it in a full steamer pan, put it in a 230 degree oven. As I've heard somewhere before and especially when I use foil, "Btu's is btu's is btu's." Once again I set my alarm, this time for noon.

Just after noon, Got up still dragging some but looked at the temp was 192 after 15 hours. 1 oc pm, Thought I'd see how it felt so I got the Thermapen MK4. I was afraid ti poke the paper too hard cause I didn't want to pierce through the bottom. The small point of the probe just slid right through, the fatter section of the probe was the toughest part. When the probe was all through the paper there was no resistance and I mean zero! Almost like someone stole my meat! Turned the oven off at 1 pm and cracked the door open probe was 192.8 maybe? Left the probe and it hit a high temp of 193.4 with carry over.

After a bit, I pulled it out of the oven and set on the top till dinner. Opened the paper and sliced it up after separating the 2 halves for dinner for She and me.

Point was excellent and the flat was just a tad dry. Should have shut it down sooner. It's been a long time since I have done a whole packer, most every time I get these I split it for corned beef and pastrami.

Thanks for looking Chefs!
I appre-c-ates it!
Denny O

Pics to follow from the phone. 20210327_211312.jpg 20210328_131520.jpg 20210328_180916.jpg 20210328_181708.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky