Fast food pricing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The wife and I used to like to go out to breakfast on weekends at local diners. Used to cost about $25+ tip for the both of us. These days, it's in the $40-$50 range. So that's gone by the wayside.

We almost never go for fast food...especially since it's just me and the wife now and I've been smoking, grilling, sous vide and pizza oven. Meals have become way more about making them than eating them...and I can buy top notch food for less vs. shelling out $15/per at Culver's or some other ff joint. And what you make at home...is probably much healthier.

Buy a sleeve of hb patties @Costco, buns and some frozen fries for the air fryer...better and 1/10 the price. And...no access to a shake...which is a good thing.

One of the foods that I have never been able to perfect at home is Chinese. I'm not talking about the Americanized stuff you see on nearly every takeout menu (General Tso's Chicken is not an authentic Chinese dish), I'm talking about actual Chinese food, more specifically Szechuan or Sichuan Chinese food. There are a couple restaurants out of the gazillion Chinese places in the city nearest me that actually serve authentic Chinese food. A real treat once in a while.

I learned that part of the reason for not bieng able to replicate the food is I dont have a burner large enough to create the "breath of the wok". I have tried and tried and made some fine food...it just never stands up to the real deal. If you ever get a glimpse of Asians stir frying, that burner is big and really hot.

I'm a bit of a burger snob. I like my burgers a bit pink in the middle and I dont trust packaged burgers or even supermarket ground beef cooked medium or med/rare. I grind all my burger meat from whole muscle chuck roast. And you're right, I almost never order a burger anywhere. I know mine at home came from one muscle of one cow and I have essentially perfected cooking them. Not many burgers out there better than mine! I'm sure almost everyone here says that!

One of the foods that I have never been able to perfect at home is Chinese. I'm not talking about the Americanized stuff you see on nearly every takeout menu (General Tso's Chicken is not an authentic Chinese dish), I'm talking about actual Chinese food, more specifically Szechuan or Sichuan Chinese food. There are a couple restaurants out of the gazillion Chinese places in the city nearest me that actually serve authentic Chinese food. A real treat once in a while.

I learned that part of the reason for not bieng able to replicate the food is I dont have a burner large enough to create the "breath of the wok". I have tried and tried and made some fine food...it just never stands up to the real deal. If you ever get a glimpse of Asians stir frying, that burner is big and really hot.

I'm a bit of a burger snob. I like my burgers a bit pink in the middle and I dont trust packaged burgers or even supermarket ground beef cooked medium or med/rare. I grind all my burger meat from whole muscle chuck roast. And you're right, I almost never order a burger anywhere. I know mine at home came from one muscle of one cow and I have essentially perfected cooking them. Not many burgers out there better than mine! I'm sure almost everyone here says that!
Agree on the wok, we are lucky enough to have several oriental markets near by. Their ingredients have stepped up my game and velveting of the protein is a great addition. But, my electric wok can't get to the temps to reduce the sauce as fast as needed. I am thinking about a carbon steel wok for my gas stove top, but I don't think that will do it.

Reactions: chef k-dude
I am in the same boat as not finding the right combination to duplicate the fine Chinese flavor. Have to drive 60+ miles to find a good Chinese restaurant so reserve the Chinese dining to those occasions when other business takes us in their area. Can replicate but never duplicate.

Reactions: chef k-dude
It's getting worse every day, eating cheap is still in the $30 range even for breakfast, granddaughter works at a place called golden girls after school and the weekends, I will go there but throw a fit about anywhere else lol. I get a little discount for being a veteran but it gets thrown back as a tip to the GD or 1 of her coworkers, the prices are not double what they were 5 years ago but not far off. Retired now so cooking more before shoulder surgery has saved us some $$. 1 arm limits what I can do for a few more months.

Agree on the wok, we are lucky enough to have several oriental markets near by. Their ingredients have stepped up my game and velveting of the protein is a great addition. But, my electric wok can't get to the temps to reduce the sauce as fast as needed. I am thinking about a carbon steel wok for my gas stove top, but I don't think that will do it.
Velveting meats is a real game changer. I only wish all the Asian and Mexican restaurants did it! I've gotten some tough-arsed meats out there, its like most places just dont give a rip, they still sell plenty of food to the clueless. Most people have no idea what actual Chinese food tastes like and it never occurs to them why the menus almost all look the same. Similar with Mexican restaurants. I like to pay attention when I see any of the employees eating...usually looks very different than the plates of the swollen Americans.

Yea, its the burner size. I have a carbon steel wok and a non-stick. I have a 6 burner LP ported Viking cook-top in my garage and the largest burner will not create the BTUs needed for proper use of the woks. I mean, sure you can cook food in them, but really good Asian stir fry requires a nuclear hot pan. I have a large Calphalon stainless skillet that does pretty good but you cant season a pan like that, and thats also part of the "breath of the wok".

Actual Asian ingredients do help and having those markets really does step up the game. There is one place in the city here that actually calls themselves an "Oriental Market". They sell stuff you cannot find, at least locally anywhere else. And that reminds me, I'm craving Kimchi! The stuff in the grocery chains is not nearly as good and costs twice a much. I like to let it sour a couple months before eating it!
I am in the same boat as not finding the right combination to duplicate the fine Chinese flavor. Have to drive 60+ miles to find a good Chinese restaurant so reserve the Chinese dining to those occasions when other business takes us in their area. Can replicate but never duplicate.
It's definitely a "destination" event to go and eat the best Chinese food. The places nearby here are just pathetic. I think its a chain but there is one place nearby called "Made in Asia". Yea, not so much, they put hoisin sauce in almost everything and the locals love it because Americans are stuck on "sweet". As long as they can get their "bang bang shrimp" with that nasty sweetened mayo and their General Tso's chicken, they are happy. Neither of which are actual Chinese food.

Reactions: clifish
There is an Asian place near me that I wouldn't say is great, but it's decent. But they have a show-kitchen behind the counter, and their woks are about 3' across. Crazy!

We had it so good......$5 boxes, $1 mcchickens, $5 footlongs, $1.29 Bacon jrs, 2 for $6 big fish, 5 for $5 roast beef, .99 rodeo burgers, $1.50 beam and coke on fridays, 2 for $6 mix n mtch gyros/roast beef, $1.50 miller lite pounders on sat, dollar/value menus........ALL GONE....:emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_laughing:

We had it so good......$5 boxes, $1 mcchickens, $5 footlongs, $1.29 Bacon jrs, 2 for $6 big fish, 5 for $5 roast beef, .99 rodeo burgers, $1.50 beam and coke on fridays, 2 for $6 mix n mtch gyros/roast beef, $1.50 miller lite pounders on sat, dollar/value menus........ALL GONE....:emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed::emoji_laughing:

Man I remember when the bacon jr’s were $.99 a piece. $.29 burger day and $.39 cheeseburger day at McDonald’s. I remember when they first started the $5 Footlongs. Remember the $5 Footlong commercials and jingle? Actual $1 menu’s. Penny pitchers of natty light on thirsty thursdays and $1 PBR tall boys all day. Good ole days.

msg.jpg

Man I remember when the bacon jr’s were $.99 a piece. $.29 burger day and $.39 cheeseburger day at McDonald’s. I remember when they first started the $5 Footlongs. Remember the $5 Footlong commercials and jingle? Actual $1 menu’s. Penny pitchers of natty light on thirsty thursdays and $1 PBR tall boys all day. Good ole days.

Also remember the old Pizza Hut deal...Regular price 4 bucks, 4 bucks, 4 bucks.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
When I started to work in the mid 70's Smokey Mountain mkts in Knoxville Tn always had 3 chili dogs for $1, many a day I had lunch for less than $2, didn't make but about $3 a hr working lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky