failed deer sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobbyjoe

Original poster
Apr 3, 2019
I was given some locker deer burger (8lbs), so I decided to smoke some deer sticks. My 1st time.
1hr at 140, -2hrs at 150-about 2 1/2hrs at 160 when it hit 155. I then cooled them in ice water for 10 minutes. I let them dry overnite in the smoker.
The sticks had a good flavor...except for the waxy coating it left in the mouth for a few minutes. If I warmed one up in the microwave it was good.
Being this was my 1st time with sticks I'm scratching my head. I'm thinking the locker deer burger had more than 20% of fat in it. prolly beef. I like pork. I didn't add any fat since it had fat in the burger.
What up?

Straight vension will give you that mouth feel. I always mix venison with beef, or pork or all 3. Never all venison.

I've had that with rib meat from deer. The tallow is something I tend to avoid getting into my sausage. Won't hurt ya and won't last too long in the freezer.

If I’m doing cheap 80% hamburger jerky sticks, I just use the nesco original beef jerky seasoning and cure.

Hand mix it in a 6# or 12# batch.

Load the big stainless LEM jerky gun up and lay flat sticks down on my dehydrator trays.

I turn the dehydrator up to 165f and let it rock about 8-9 hrs.

I then Unload the sticks from the dehydrator onto paper towels in single layers to soak up all that grease. I use a lot of paper towels but it’s necessary to avoid a greasy white exterior on the sticks when they are done. I let them sit for an hour or so to cool before bagging for the fridge or vac sealing them up, to freeze.

I’m actually making them this weekend. I’ve made them so many times and never had any issues or bad batches.

Never had that problem with 100% deer, fat will leave your mouth greasy, 0 fat added when I do jerky or sticks.

Reactions: poacherjoe
Thanks All! I'm thawing out about 5lbs of my own deer meat and try sticks again. I always trim all the fat off my timber goats. So should I add about a 1/2 lb of ground pork or just go straight deer for sticks?

Thanks All! I'm thawing out about 5lbs of my own deer meat and try sticks again. I always trim all the fat off my timber goats. So should I add about a 1/2 lb of ground pork or just go straight deer for sticks?
I would add the pork, even 1 pound would be good. If the pork is 30% fat it would leave you with about 5.5% fat for the whole batch. 5 lbs deer + 1lb pork =83.3% deer 11.1% pork 5.6% fat.

It will be OK without added fat, but you’ll wish you had added it. In fact, I just made some sticks with 90/10 venison. I was just doing a little freezer cleaning, so decided not to add fat and use as it was.

Now every time I take a bite, I wish I had. Flavor is good, but it’s a little dry.

jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky