Facebook $ucks But Marketplace Is The Best!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Well, I managed to get everything I need to have successful smokes with a Masterbuilt MS30.

All I need now is guidance and direction.

I found everything on Facebook Marketplace for a great price:

Masterbuilt MS30 (New) $150
Masterbuilt Slow Smoker Attachment (New) $50
Auber Instruments PID Model WS-1211H (As New) $100

OK, Now what do I do?

John

Season the smoker if it hasn't been done already. Maybe wash the grates first.
Don't know anything about the slow smoker attachment so can't help there.
Have you had the pid hooked up and set it to see how it works?

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Season the smoker if it hasn't been done already. Maybe wash the grates first.
Don't know anything about the slow smoker attachment so can't help there.
Have you had the pid hooked up and set it to see how it works?

Ryan
Thanks for the response Ryan.

I believe I have to do some re-wiring to bypass the stock controller in order to use the Auber.

Already seasoned the smoker and smoke generator.

John

Thanks for the response Ryan.

I believe I have to do some re-wiring to bypass the stock controller in order to use the Auber.

Already seasoned the smoker and smoke generator.

John
Is it digital or analog? Guessing digital. There are several threads helping with the rewire on that.

Ryan

BandCollector BandCollector I also have the WS-1211H. The factory settings were pretty spot on for an MES30,I tweaked the settings a little but the factory settings worked well.

For me the rewire was as simple as it can get...unplug one wire harness plug it into another and done.

Here's the simple rewire thread:

Reactions: tallbm and JLeonard
Digital. . .Well I better start looking then,

John
normanaj normanaj has you covered with the post on doing the simple rewire :D

BandCollector BandCollector I also have the WS-1211H. The factory settings were pretty spot on for an MES30,I tweaked the settings a little but the factory settings worked well.

For me the rewire was as simple as it can get...unplug one wire harness plug it into another and done.

Here's the simple rewire thread:
Nice! Good info that should have BandCollector BandCollector setup for success :D

tallbm tallbm

What type of wire connectors were you using in the pictures? The one with the blue H written on it?
full?d=1507244980.jpg

The left wire I put on one of the following 14-16 AWG 1/4inch male spade crimp connectors.
The right wire with the "H" on it is just the female 1/4inch spade connector that was already on the wrie.
I that white thing with the "H" on it was simply the extra right angle rubber insulation that was on the wire end to begin with.

The image below shows a female and male 14-16 AWG 1/4 inch connector, the link is just for the MALE since your wires will already have female connectors on them :D

9Zd0Hyp.png

Let me know if this makes sense and ask all the questions you have :D

Wait!?!?!? You just bought another MES?

Jim
No Jim,
My old MES I sold years ago to help pay for my Camp Chef Pellet Smoker since I have also sold due to space constraints.

This one is a new one that I am going to set up with the PID Controller and a Smoke Generator so I don't have to fool around with a Mailbox mod.

John

I was thinking this was another one you bought also . I knew you were looking , but thought you had found one before this .

Get it setup with the controller , you'll be more than happy .

I was trying to locate these heat shrink connectors in both male and female but can't seem to find them.
BC, check AutoZone (or other car parts store) if you have one nearby. They have a really nice selection of electronic parts. There is also a similar one with a post vs the blade. Lowes and Home Depot also have them hidden in their section as well......

Reactions: tallbm
I was trying to locate these heat shrink connectors in both male and female but can't seem to find them.
I didn't do a lot of looking but on that Amazon listing they have an "assortment" option that has both 20 male and 20 female of the blue 14-16 AWG heat shrink connectors, along with other sizes. It should get the job done and if you need the other size connectors you have em :D
$8.99
x7fa3yi.jpg

I hope this helps :D

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks,

I wasn't positive that they would be the correct size. . . I'm not most proficient when it comes to electrical items. That is why I am being such a pest and am sorry to keep bothering you. I really don't want to screw anything up and wind up having to start this whole process over again. I just ordered them!!

Thanks again pal,

John

Thanks,

I wasn't positive that they would be the correct size. . . I'm not most proficient when it comes to electrical items. That is why I am being such a pest and am sorry to keep bothering you. I really don't want to screw anything up and wind up having to start this whole process over again. I just ordered them!!

Thanks again pal,

John
Oh your good to go.

For more details, the MES wiring is 16 AWG wiring. They use 1/4 spade connectors and parts. This is good info to know when you want to work and fix things with the MES 30 and 40 units :D
These should fit the bill for the rewire. I'm glad we are discussing this.
If you are doing this work you would want to use these or similar hi temp ones at the element and safety limit switch so they don't rust and corrode easily and can handle higher temps better:

$7.94 (have seen lower but these get the job done)
AfWBb3w.png

If you want heat shrink tubing for these uninsulated connectors then these should work and have all the sizes you need to get the job done. I just use a lighter and quickly run the flame over the tubing to shrink it. I don't have a heat gun hahaha :D:
$4.58
9X4fRro.png

x4SOW3i.png

Reactions: jaxgatorz
tallbm tallbm

You are the greatest! Thanks so much for your expertise.

I ordered all of the connectors and shrink tubing so I should be good to go.

Once I get the controller bypassed I will try to replace the cheap connectors at the safety limit switch and element.with the hi-temp ones.
Since I have no idea where the cheap ones are in the smoker I might be contacting you again. . .LOL!

Thanks Pal,

John

Reactions: normanaj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky