Elk sausage came out mushy.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wild west

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
Saskatoon Saskatchewan
Hello everyone. My son in law got an elk this past fall and wanted help making some smoked sausage so just before this pandemic broke loose we got down to it. We used 7 lb of elk that he had previously ground and I got him to pick up 3lb of the fattiest pork belly he could find so I estimate it ended up close to 80/20 lean to fat ratio. Both the elk and the belly were ground once with the medium plate. Used a roasted garlic premix that I bought from a sausage supply store that called for 2 cups of water for 10lbs but I only added 1 1/4 cups to get the consistency that I usually shoot for. The premix uses toasted wheat crumb as the binder and there is enough in the mix that it should easily absorb the added water. I used the proper amount of cure and the test patty seemed fine. Due to time factor we stuffed the same day into natural hog caseing but hung it in my basement fridge for 12 hours before smoking the next day. I warm smoked for about 6 hrs at 130* and the used my sous vide in the kitchen sink to finish at 145 for 2.5 hrs to be sure it was pasteurized. The end product is very soft and mushy texture. Doesnt seem to matter how long or what method you use to cook it it still has that mushy finished texture almost like raw ground meat. I dont hunt so this is the first wild game I've made sausage from. I make quite a bit of pork or beef sausage and have never had this problem before. I'm thinking its maybe useing the pork belly as the fat but I've used it with other sausage without issue other than you have to be real careful with temps useing belly as the fat content. Any ideas. I would like to figure this out before we make another batch( which could be awhile with this pandemic). TIA for your input.
Resized_20200308_201934.jpeg
Sorry no cut shots.

I've never used a wheat crumb binder, so maybe that's the culprit. Pork belly is fine to use, it's maybe 30% to 35% fat. But, I bet it was the low temp in the smoker, combined with the lower end of temp for the sous vide finish. At 130° in the smoker (verses a hot finish of 155°) the texture of the sausage did not tighten up. And the 145° sous vide finish, even though pasteurized, did not firm up the meat. I sous vide my links at 155°.

Ground pork butt is normally better than belly. 6 hours at 130* was prob too long and the belly rendered the fat.

I'd put it back in the refer or smoker to get it to dehydrate a bit more... Me thinks they called for too much water... Brown bag the links and give them a 2-3 day rest in the refer... They will dry out slow and uniform in a brown bag... OR used unwaxed/unplastic coated, butcher paper....

Reactions: boykjo
Thanks third eye. The wheat crumb is a very fine powder not crumb like. I use other mixes with it for pork sausage with great results. I've switched to the sous vide method because I like the texture better than taking the sausage to 152 in the smoker but certainly not this time so it could be the sous vide.
I've never used a wheat crumb binder, so maybe that's the culprit. Pork belly is fine to use, it's maybe 30% to 35% fat. But, I bet it was the low temp in the smoker, combined with the lower end of temp for the sous vide finish. At 130° in the smoker (verses a hot finish of 155°) the texture of the sausage did not tighten up. And the 145° sous vide finish, even though pasteurized, did not firm up the meat. I sous vide my links at 155°.

Ground pork butt is normally better than belly. 6 hours at 130* was prob too long and the belly rendered the fat.
I didn't notice any fat in the smoker and there was no fat on the water surface after sous vide
Resized_20200308_184434.jpeg

I agree that butt is likely better and think I'll go that route on the next batch.
I'd put it back in the refer or smoker to get it to dehydrate a bit more... Me thinks they called for too much water... Brown bag the links and give them a 2-3 day rest in the refer... They will dry out slow and uniform in a brown bag... OR used unwaxed/unplastic coated, butcher paper....
Thanks Dave. I would try that but we made this at the beginning of March so it's now frozen. I'll tell SIL to take it out a few days prior to when he wants to eat it and see if it firms up . I dont understand why it doesnt dry or firm up more from cooking on the grill.

Normally with a mushy texture I find it has not lost enough moisture and needs to smoke/bake longer. The lack of rendered fat indicates that is not the problem and if it was, your sausage would be dry and crumbly, espcially with any type of game meat. I would also go with a harder fat, shoulder or back fat.

I'm not a major sausage maker but I make about 60-100 pounds a year so I have experience with sausage but I dont SV mine.

With that I said I remember reading an article somewhere and the guy did tests of SV sausage at 3 temps like 145F, 155F, and 165F and he showed the texture differences between the 3.

The 145F was limp and more mushy, where the 155F was good to go, and the 165F was good to go as well but was more firm.

With that article in mind I'm wondering if your heat/meat/fat combo was just not the best combination. The good news though is that I bet you can take a link, vac seal it and SV it at 155F until you know the sausage has hit that temp for a while and see if it firms up.
Also I bet if go grill one of the sausages and check at 155-165F internal temp you may if the texture firms up and such.

Those are two simple tests you can try and will let you know if your sausage is ok and just needs a little love to make it great :)

Reactions: Trigger01
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky