Elk Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
looks very nice
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I would also like to try

Can't you do what we do here in PA with our black bears?
Just wound 'em & ride 'em out to the truck before you finish him off??
biggrin.gif

BC

So per usual, "I'm a day late and a dollar short".

Straight to the point - I'm responsible for bringing the "charcoal and dry rub for smoking the Elk Ribs"  Ha, um, ok?  I'm totally new to smoking - love and rock at the Webster grill, but...

Over the phone, info I received - the 'rib roast' is still attached (to/between) the rib rack(s)...?  Not having seen the meat and not being a hunter I don't know what this means.  I have been TOLD there will be NO separating them - "It looks too pretty to cut it up.  The presentation will be fabulous!"  I can't argue with that.  I'm concerned about heat/ time/fat levels/time/prep/time differences... 

So...Help!?!  PLEASE.

What to rub/marinate/brine, etc...them in?  How long to smoke? Heat level? etc...

This is an annual reunion of college folk - it's always fun to serve up something special!  I'm excited about the chance to work with new material, but it sucks to fail in front of an expectant crowd.

Anything you're willing to share is appreciated,

Thanks - Maren

Welcome to the SMF, Maren.  These ribs took about 5 hours.  I used Jeff's rub,  wrapped and let set in the fridge overnight.  I had cut them into sections just for the convenience of handling. 

If the elk that you are cooking is a rib roast, then you will want to smoke at 250* until internal temperature reaches 140* (for med rare). Do not overcook it if it is a roast.

So help me with the "2 1/2-1 1/2-1 using hickory and apple" part...  I realize they're chips but what's the ratio/ measurement guide?

Do you think it's a good idea to leave these two 'cuts' of meat together?  From what it sounds like the two racks are still connected...buy the back? Loin????  It seams like they'd be very different in terms of needs for heat/moisture/time etc.  Am I way off base, and over thinking this?

I usually just field dress and haul my elk to the processor... this year she may show up without any ribs.. Might even make it easier to load into the truck.

What model sawzall did you use? Can you buy meat blades for it, or do you need to?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky