Electric Smokehouse Build Plan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bowjunky16

Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
Hi all,
So a couple months ago I had the bright idea to get on the forums and start looking around. Because of that, I got bit by the bug bad. I instantly wanted to build my own smokehouse. I sketched some stuff on paper and after looking at it and thinking about the original plan, I went against it. I came across s2k9k's build and decided I wanted to try building something similar. I've been using my lunch breaks at work to model up what I want to build and just want to run it by some of you to make sure I am on the right track. Basically, the build will replicate a shed build. I plan on lining the inside with 16 gauge steel and my exterior will be T1-11. I will fill the wall, ceiling, door and floor voids with mineral wool insulation. I have 4 floor registers as vents to create airflow (hopefully my positioning is ok). I plan to heat using a single 1500 watt heating element. I will install a rack above this with a drip pan to avoid grease fires. And my smoke will come from an A-Maze-n 5x8 pellet smoker that is elevated with 4 legs to have good airflow around it. My model isn't 100% done (missing the hanging racks, grates, table to set stuff on, therms, etc), but I figured I would post my design to get some input on projected airflow and heating capabilities. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
upload_2018-1-24_11-53-47.png

Front and Right Side
upload_2018-1-24_11-54-0.png

Back and Left Side
upload_2018-1-24_11-54-43.png

Door Open

Reactions: Fade2Blacc
I would do a mail box mod for the amps. Hang the mail box on the outside of smoker that way you can add pellets for long smokes or remove the tray for short smokes with out having to open the smoker door and loosing your heat. That way you don’t have to worry about recovery time because you opened the door. My .02

Reactions: Fade2Blacc
I would do a mail box mod for the amps. Hang the mail box on the outside of smoker that way you can add pellets for long smokes or remove the tray for short smokes with out having to open the smoker door and loosing your heat. That way you don’t have to worry about recovery time because you opened the door. My .02
Agreed. You're gonna lose alot when it comes time to open the door. Whats the plan for rack spacing? And your probes?

Overall I like the design though

You don't need a mailbox mod.. the tray lasts 8 hours or more. You don't need smoke after 8 hours... If cold smoking it won't matter if you open the door anyway. Make one vent you can remove or swing open so you can grab the tray out if it needs to be lit back up. I would have that set up for using a big heavy pan for wood chunks also. On a Tray you can slide in and out like a drawer above the element. Just below a rack for drip pan and possibly a heat diffuser if needed.

Lol

you can add a tunnel to one of the lower air inlets... slide the AMNPS into the tunnel... Add legs to the AMNPS... Really helps with air flow to the bottom.. helped me and others...
the legs only need be about 1"... +/-......
LEGS 4.jpg

My plan was to have a table to set my maverick on and run the cords through a pipe nipple in the side of the smokehouse. I like the idea of a detachable vent to slide the AMNPS through! I am going to control this with a PLC I have laying around and probably have some sort of HDMI screen with different "profile" programs that I can run which will control the temp. As for the rack spacing my plan was to have 5 racks (1 of which would be for the drip pan). They would be half inch steel plate with 1 inch holes drilled through them then cut in half lengthwise. I would fix one a few inches above the element for the drip pan, and the remaining 4 I would have equal distance from eachother starting at the top. I would use wooden dowels for hanging stuff, and probably fabricate some sort of rack to slide in and out on the steel runners.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky