Dyna-Glo Offset Smoker, Adding Coals often

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TampaNole27

Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Hi All,
First post. Been smoking for about a year now. I am obsessed. So happy a few coworkers turned me on to it.
I am using a Dyna-Glo offset. I made the suggested mods (Seal Tape, food safe caulking, etc.).

During all my cooks, I do feel I have to add coals quite often. Every hour or so. The tempature holds really well in the body, 225 to 240 throughout (while of course adjusting vents and stuff). But from what people have said on here and just knowing people smoke meat overnight, why am I having this problem?
My first guess would be, not enough coals in the basket. But if I overloaded coals, wouldn't it get too hot?

Thank you!

You can try the minion method... If your smoker is air tight, it should work....
Make a maze so only a thin line of briquettes can burn...

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/H8inmZMhRQg"

llminion12106-1.jpg

61WeYbuc2hL._SX569_.jpg

Reactions: TampaNole27
I also use a dyna-glo vertical offset charcoal smoker. It turns out very good results but it is not off the shelf ready like some other units. I also thought that the amount of fuel I used seemed like too much for the amount of heat I was needing. I did the modifications you posted plus a couple more. 1) I placed a firebrick over the heat outlet from the firebox where it enters the smoker. 2) I placed a slotted baking pan next to the firebrick to evenly distribute the heat through the smoker. 3) I placed a piece of cinder block at the end of the over tray for thermal mass. 4) I bought a welding blanket and attached it on the sides and back of the firebox and smoker. This reduced fuel consumption by a significant amount. I may cover the front of the smoker as well. I left off the door for looks.

I am in the process now of building a PID airflow temperature controller for my smoker. I didn't want to spend the $$ for a BBQ guru as it would cost as much as the smoker. I am hoping my version comes in under $100.

Reactions: TampaNole27
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky