Lowering temp on a Dyna-glo LP gas smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shinnosuke

Original poster
May 6, 2023
Aloha all, first post here and I'm a noob when it comes to smokers so I thought I'd ask those in the know. I bought a Dyna-Glo wide-body LP Gas smoker without doing much research first (got too excited to get smoking!) and I'm having trouble getting it dialed in. I'm mainly smoking fish, specifically marlin because we'll catch an occasional marlin and you really can't eat or give away (as crazy as that sounds) 200+lbs of fillet/chunks so I'm trying to smoke it. The problem is my propane smoker has two burners but using just one burner at the lowest setting still gets the temp up to 240-250 degrees and that's too hot for the marlin strips that I'm smoking. I was told by other fishermen that I need the temp to be below 200, more like 160-170 degrees as the fish is smoked for about 3-4 hours at that temp and the fish is pulled at 125-130 degrees internal temp. So, after reading through some of the posts here, it looks like I have to plug some of the burner "holes" up so less flame, less heat BUT...how safe is that? If not securely fastened in could the propane just leak out and then cause a hazard? Is there another way besides plugging holes to get the temp way down? Mahalo for any help!

Ok, thanks for the info! So do I need a specific type of needle valve or are they all the same? Can I just hop on Amazon and get one or do I need more specifics?

This seems to be a common issue with this smoker. I always have to use one burner on the lowest setting. After an hour or so I switch to the other one to keep even cooking. I was thinking to use a smaller capacity burner but where to find one? I will investigate the plugging of holes in burner and the needle valve suggestion. If anyone discovers a simple fix please post.
Thanks

This seems to be a common issue with this smoker. I always have to use one burner on the lowest setting. After an hour or so I switch to the other one to keep even cooking. I was thinking to use a smaller capacity burner but where to find one? I will investigate the plugging of holes in burner and the needle valve suggestion. If anyone discovers a simple fix please post.
Thanks
Aloha, I got the needle valve and tested it without anything to smoke and it seems to do well with one burner going, I think the temp is under 200 degrees but that's just a guestimation as the mounted temp gauge seems to be off. Now I just need to catch a marlin to really test it out haha...

Aloha, I got the needle valve and tested it without anything to smoke and it seems to do well with one burner going, I think the temp is under 200 degrees but that's just a guestimation as the mounted temp gauge seems to be off. Now I just need to catch a marlin to really test it out haha...
Send a pic when you can :)

so please Identify the needle valve , I want one !

so please Identify the needle valve , I want one
From Amazon, you can piece together (splicing into your existing hose line) with these items (copy and paste into Amazon search field):

Bayou Classic NV108P Brass Control Valve Connects Between LPG Hose and LPG Regulator​

and you'll need this:

Nigo Industrial Co. Brass Hose Fitting, Connector (5/16" Barb x 1/4" NPT Female, 1)​

and this:

Avanty Brass Hose Barb Fitting, 5/16" Barbed x 1/4" NPT Male Adapter Connector with 2 Hose Clamps, Pack of 2​

and this:

PTFE Yellow Gas Line Thread Sealant Tape 260" Length 1/2" Width 1 Pack for Propane,Natural Gas and More by Vanguard Sealants​

or you can get the whole setup like this which I should've looked for first (I haven't tried this one yet):

Stanbroil 48 Inch 10 PSI High Pressure Propane Adjustable Regulator Valve Hose Assembly - QCC1 x 3/8" Flare Swivel Fitting​

Hope this works for you and let us know your results.

Reactions: KW_Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky