Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dutch, believe me, it's not easy keeping those beans around!  I'm hoping to smoke some beef in the next couple weeks, going to give them enchiladas a try.  It's funny how people's tastes match up sometimes.  I've learned that when people recommend something to me and I like it, it's a good idea to try all their recommendations.  Of course, that usually works the other way, too. So far, my taste buds have found a few people on here to follow for my personal preferences, I've got a feeling your recipes will go to the top of my lists.

Beer.gif

Can't believe its taking me this long to try your bean recipe.  Made it this weekend but only used crushed pineapple instead of chunks in my MES with heavy smoke while making spare ribs.  They match the spice of my ribs perfectly.  The taste is pretty amazing and look more forward to making these beans than the ribs!  Thanks Dutch!

I love these beans, but my wife has mentioned that there is too much sugar (too sweet). I tried rinsing some of the beans as well as reducing some of the brown sugar etc. but they ended up really dry. Any ideas on what to add to keep the moisture up without the sugar?
try using bushs  vegetarian beans.  I don't like them too sweet so that is what I use.

Can't believe its taking me this long to try your bean recipe.  Made it this weekend but only used crushed pineapple instead of chunks in my MES with heavy smoke while making spare ribs.  They match the spice of my ribs perfectly.  The taste is pretty amazing and look more forward to making these beans than the ribs!  Thanks Dutch!

You're welcome kumatae! These beans are so popular that TulsaJeff included the recipe in his cookbook.

dewayner79 and goodbeer-try using a plain pork and bean like Van de Camps or Good Value-they're not all fancied up like the Bushes and you can better control the sweetness. If you find that the beans are starting to dry out, add some low fat, low sodium beef stock to them.

I am making some this weekend. I can't wait. I smoke some pork cutlets with my homemade rub and cube them up to put into the beans. I also add 1/2 cup or so of honey whiskey and they are so insanely good. I got people at work asking to get on the "bean list" so they can buy a portion come Monday at work. I also double the amount of veggies and use Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy bbq sauce instead of ketchup and I use pineapple tidbits which are 1/4th the size of the regular chunks.

Either way you make these suckers, you're gonna love em.

Mad these with the Vegetarian beans... they were perfect. One of the many comments I recieved about these beans:

Excellent job on the BBQ food. For me the pot of beans was the best I ever had, and will most likely be responsible for starting the next ice age. Trust me.

Hey Dutch what color bell pepper do you use? I wasn't sure so I used red and they were a total hit! Everyone had 2nds and some had 3rds. I followed your recipe exactly but I doubled it. I'm hooked!

Thanks so much for sharing. I've been meaning to try this for several years and just never got around to it. Now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

@ teeznuts: I get whatevers on sale-or the cheapest which are usually the green bell peppers. I've used yellow and red before when I had a garden.

@Rexxer: Thanks! Glad to share.

I'm making another pan today. I was wondering if you've ever tried using crushed pineapple instead of chunks.

Everyone has loved the beans but a few were hesitant to try em at first when they saw chunks of pineapple. I thought maybe using crushed would eliminate the initial hesitation since it won't be as visible.

I'm making another pan today. I was wondering if you've ever tried using crushed pineapple instead of chunks.

Everyone has loved the beans but a few were hesitant to try em at first when they saw chunks of pineapple. I thought maybe using crushed would eliminate the initial hesitation since it won't be as visible.
I always use the crushed instead of chunks, turns out great!

Isn't that funny how people are?  I had the same thing happen to me.  The second time I made them for a family gathering I chopped the pineapple up, crushed would have been fine, also.  People were asking me if that was pineapple they were tasting and commenting how good it was.  Now I'm back to chunks and everyone eats them right up.  I also add extra bacon, can't have too much bacon.  
icon14.gif
  I also use a very high quality local bacon, it amazes me how much difference it adds to the flavor.  Then, that kiss of smoke, I usually make them when I'm smoking ribs so they get a good 5-6 hours of smoke, I stir them anytime I open the cooker.  Did them in the indoor oven once and while they were still amazing, we really like the smoked ones.

I think adding some home cured BBB would be amazing. If the price of pork butt in Cali keeps sky rocketing it may not happen.

Teeznuts, I've used chunks, tidbit and crushed pineapple. The first time with the crushed pineapple was all Ma Dutch's fault she went shopping and had poor eye/hand coordination-she was looking at the chunk pineapple and grabbed the crushed. Since she bought it, I used it and it too was a hit with the crowd.

I'll even admit to goofing up my own recipe. I got up early to get the smoker fired up to smoke some ribs and butts for a family get-together and figured since I was making a mess anyway I'd go ahead and mix up a double batch of beans so they would be ready to go in the smoker. Well-having not properly caffeinated myself at the start, I inadvertently grabbed a can of applesauce! Didn't realize what I had done until a opened the can and smelled apples instead of pineapple. OOPS! I hadn't divulged my mistake until now; and when the family asked what I did different, I just smiled and told them that I was experimenting again.

I've used BBB in the bean before-problem is that BBB doesn't last. Once the kids find out that I made some, they all show up and snag a bag or two on the way out the door. You know if the price of butts go up, bacon will go up as well!

Good point. Butts are between $2.29-2.99 here in the bay area of California. Brisket shot up from $2.25 to between $3.40-5.00 a lb now. Its ridiculous. Maybe I will start some BBB.

By the way I made a batch with crushed and it was a hit. I think it was better since nobody could see the pineapple. Was applesauce good?

Thanks again for sharing a killer recipe.

It was a nice change up from the standard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky