Duck Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I traded a doz chip eggs for 8 duck eggs.
I think she got the better end of the deal.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Pickle tomorrow.

IMG_0012.jpg

Last time I ate a duck egg I was still at home on parents chicken farm.

Reactions: JLeonard
I had ducks when I was a kid and nobody in my family really cared for the strong taste duck eggs have. Mom used them for baking and I gave the rest away to people who loved them.

Reactions: JLeonard
Duck eggs are good for baking but a little strong to eat by themselves. I do like turkey eggs with the larger yoke

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Not a huge fan of straight duck eggs, but great for baking or in a dish with acid to balance the stronger flavor than that of Chicken eggs. I am very interested to hear how the pickled duck eggs turn out.

- Jason

I hadn't noticed a taste to duck eggs at all. 🤔
We like them for baking and will use them for scrabbled. They hold up nice to a hash or something with more texture since they set firmer.
Interested to see how the picked texture is. Fried the whites are too firm for me. I always assumed boiled they would be like eating a hockey puck, so never tried it.

We were getting duck eggs every trout trip in PA.
I noticed a very noticeable change in taste between ducks kept penned and fed pelleted feed / fresh water, and those allowed free range in a pond and offered supplemental veggies and/or limited pellets.
The latter having the more distinct flavors and bright orange yolk.

We were getting duck eggs every trout trip in PA.
I noticed a very noticeable change in taste between ducks kept penned and fed pelleted feed / fresh water, and those allowed free range in a pond and offered supplemental veggies and/or limited pellets.
The latter having the more distinct flavors and bright orange yolk.
Ducks instantly turn "fresh water" into a mucky pond! Trying to provide fresh water for a duck is a fools errand. 🙃

I love duck eggs, but our supplier hasn't raised them in a few years.
Didn't a distinct difference in flavor.
Never worked up the courage to try a balut.

"Never worked up the courage to try a balut."
Well, having been there and done that, I can say you haven't missed a lot. Once, on a dare, was enough.

• Wow
Reactions: Fueling Around
We mostly get farm fresh eggs. Twice wife has cracked an egg with about a 7-10 day puddle of chick. She's a pretty good sport and just tosses in the garbage and reaches for another egg.

Reactions: DougE
We mostly get farm fresh eggs. Twice wife has cracked an egg with about a 7-10 day puddle of chick. She's a pretty good sport and just tosses in the garbage and reaches for another egg.
One reason I only have hens. I also got tired of flogging the one rooster I did have every time I needed to go in the run to fill the waterer. He was pretty aggressive.

Reactions: Fueling Around
This showed up on my Cummunity Facebook page late yesterday. Good for him.

"Good evening. We have a very enthusiastic young business man out at the end of our driveway selling freshly squeezed/juiced lime, pineapple and strawberry juice! He also has some fresh chicken, quail and duck eggs is anyone is interested! "
436259841_441504051804115_7075919742060365419_n.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
One reason I only have hens. I also got tired of flogging the one rooster I did have every time I needed to go in the run to fill the waterer. He was pretty aggressive.
We have no say on what our egg suppliers have in the inventory. I wish they didn't keep roosters, but some do for the predator protection. As you said, they are pretty aggressive.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky