Drumsticks - Two Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I tossed on a few drumsticks for dinner this afternoon, and they turned out great. I can tell that by cooking at the higher temp, the skin turned out better than usual. Total cook time was about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Started out with two packs of the basic drumsticks from the store.

First batch - I marinated in some itialian dressing for about 3 hours. Not sure that it made a lot of difference, but didn't hurt at all. I dried the off, hit them with Traeger Chicken Rub, and put them on a rack. No sauce on there - kept them dry.

Second batch - just dried them off, hit them with Traeger Pork and Poultry rub, and put them on the rack. At the end, these got hit with a little BBQ sauce.

IMG_0919.JPG

Both turned out really tasty and tender. Skin was not rubbery.

They were on the Traeger, set at 275*, at 3:30 PM. Running apple pellets.

A little before 5:00 PM, turned up the temp to 350*. Hit batch two with some suace. Pulled them off at 5:15 PM.

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

They look perfect to me. Nicely done.

Point for sure.
Chris

Hello. Curious did you use put the drumsticks right onto the smokers grill grates or did you use that pan and elevated grate in the pic?

Hello. Curious did you use put the drumsticks right onto the smokers grill grates or did you use that pan and elevated grate in the pic?

I used the rack. The rack is a cooking/cooling rack. Makes it super easy to carrry out to the smoker and drop right on. The pan that the rack is sitting on is just a cookie sheet that I used to transport the rack to and from the smoker.

Reactions: T2timmy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky