Dogs and Bones

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lisacsco

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I know you cant give your dog chicken bones, but someone said to me they should not get BB ribs bones either. I have two little dogs, (Min Pins). What bones do you all share?

Lisa
tongue.gif

back when i used to go to chili's and get bb ribs, i used to give the bones to my chihuahua all the time. she ate them up as soon as i gave them to her (2 or 3 a day for a few days). never had a problem. she passed three years ago, at age 9- hit by a motorcycle.

A smaller dog does not have the power to crunch a rib bone. But, I would never have given them to my late Molly because she could crunch them into little slivers in an instant.

I gave my German Shepherd ham bones, and larger beef bones.

The danger comes from a pooch swallowing a slivered bone fragment and having that very sharp piece of bone puncture the intestine. Usually the symptoms appear too late to help your pooch.

Rule of thumb, never give chicken bones, period, and do not give smaller pork bones to dogs that weigh more than 10 lbs. My preference is to never give smaller pork bones but if you do, please watch your pet carefully to see how he or she handles the treat.

Hope this helps everyone!

Cheers!

The large bone from a ham is no problem. If my Shepherd could not splinter them then I guess they would be OK. It is the smaller bones from a pig that present the danger, especialy after being cooked.

Cheers!

I'd talk to my vet instead of relying on what folks here think, if you really want to know what is best for your animal. A phone call is all it takes.
cool.gif

I could not agree more, Mike!

Every pet and every situation is different!

Thanks for that input.

Cheers!

I agree with srmonty..
I never give them rib bones for the reason they stated.. Not worth the risk to my family member... I buy them pig ears for a treat and they love the chicken tender strips.

my local grocery store carries in their meat dept. bones for dogs......
pretty cheap........in the freezer section

if fact my rott. x dobie at this very moment in chewing on a center bone now

hehe

wd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky