Does Your Mes Produce Smoke Without Wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njfoses

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
South Jersey
I have had my mes 30 older generation for a few months now and one thing i have noticed is that my mes seems to produce a light amount of smoke while pre-heating without the amnps or other fuel source being used.  I have my water pan foiled so im not sure if it is burn off from the foil, burn off from the walls, or some type of steam as i have only smoked thus far in colder outside temps.  Does this occur with other mes users?  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

You will get a little burn off from accumulated residue, etc. that is close to the heating coil.  Nothing to worry about.

Bill

Last edited:
Yep...Even with a drip pan there always seems to be something, spattering grease or whatever that seem to find it's way to the Chip loader housing that burns during heat up...JJ

Any oil, fat, grease, etc. that accumulates will give off some smoke when preheating the MES.  There is no way to prevent it.  So long as there is no buildup of fat  on or near the heating element that could cause a flare up you should be fine. 

Good luck and be safe!!!

Mike, morning....  I know my MES smokes also... I think if you allow that stuff to accumulate in the smoker, it will impart a bad taste to the food....  I will turn my MES on high (275) for a few hours, before a smoke cycle, to try and remove the build up....   seems to work.... after awhile, the smoke is not visible... since using that technique, I haven't had any "funky" taste to the food, (or the smoked cycles)...  Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky