Do you still use a tile over the heating element on the mes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njfoses

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
South Jersey
Im curious how many of you use or still use a tile over the heating element in their mes.  I have the mes 30 from last year and thinking about getting a 10x10 tile to cover the chip box to help even out the high temp in the right corner.  I have read about a few people having issues, either the tile cracked, door became extremely hot and almost warped, etc.  Is this mod still recommended?  Im curious to hear from people that have used the tile for an extended period of time.  Thanks!

Yes! I have a 12x12 ceramic floor tile covered in foil and placed on the chip smoker box. Although I don't smoke very often, I have had absolutely no problems. I also use a 3" gas water heater vent elbow in the exhaust port which is always wide open. Mine is the MES40 from Sam's about 16 months ago.

I no longer use the chip tray because I got an AMNPS.

I pulled out the tile.... pulled out the chip loader and tray.... added an inlet damper... a heat tunnel.... a tunnel in the ceiling to move the heat to the center of the smoker...  then added the mailbox mod....  I think I am done with the mods... for now....  Dave

200x200px-ZC-02d6df9a_AMNPSinMES301.jpg
200x200px-ZC-6809e7d5_DSCF0271.jpg

200x200px-ZC-1103df6b_3whereitfits.jpg
200x200px-ZC-d53e0296_exhtunnel2.jpg

900x900px-LL-f3074df4_AMNPSandMailboxmod.jpg

I pulled out the tile.... pulled out the chip loader and tray.... added an inlet damper... a heat tunnel.... a tunnel in the ceiling to move the heat to the center of the smoker...  then added the mailbox mod....  I think I am done with the mods... for now....  Dave

200x200px-ZC-02d6df9a_AMNPSinMES301.jpg
200x200px-ZC-6809e7d5_DSCF0271.jpg

200x200px-ZC-1103df6b_3whereitfits.jpg
200x200px-ZC-d53e0296_exhtunnel2.jpg

900x900px-LL-f3074df4_AMNPSandMailboxmod.jpg
Dave, or anybody else what was your experience with just the tile?  You have done some awesome mods to the mes but im really interested in just the tile experiment at this point.  

Yes! I have a 12x12 ceramic floor tile covered in foil and placed on the chip smoker box. Although I don't smoke very often, I have had absolutely no problems. I also use a 3" gas water heater vent elbow in the exhaust port which is always wide open. Mine is the MES40 from Sam's about 16 months ago.

I no longer use the chip tray because I got an AMNPS.
Thanks i think a 12x12 tile is a bit to big for the mes 30 though.  I dont want to completely restrict air flow which is why i was thinking 10x10 or even 8x8.  I also have the 3" elbow over the vent which has worked well for me.  Glad to hear you have not had any issues with the tile.

I found the tile did not help the hot spot in the right rear corner much.... Moving the exhaust did the best.....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky