DIY Smoker UPDATE!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pigface

Original poster
May 18, 2021
Just thought I would update on my smoker project. I went and bought a cheap Walmart double burner hot plate to see if I could get smoke,Bingo!! got a bunch! I will probably upgrade the hot plate and may have to add aux. heat to get the temps up, right now holding at about 100 degrees inside,thanks to all that added info!!

Attachments

• IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 49
I’ve used the elect up to 185 for sausages only. Haven’t tried to get it any hotter.
For other cooks I take the element out and use charcoal and wood in the gravity fed. With that it goes well past 500

Reactions: Torc
Very nice!

Have you checked how hot you can get with your setup? I can only reach 250 with my setup.
So far only 120, still have some more things to work on, need to get another rack to use for the drip catch

So far only 120, still have some more things to work on, need to get another rack to use for the drip catch
I am going to bring the hot plate up off the bottom of the smoker and see if that gives me more heat in the upper section,I would like to see 170 to 180 degrees or so, maybe 5 inches will help. Also going to upgrade the hot plate to a Cadco CDR-2CFB hot plate

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky