Diners, drive-ins and Dives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just curious, the Diners, drive-Ins and dives is a show on the food channel I’ll watch every now and then. Guy Fieri makes all the places seems like they are amazing. I’ve never had a chance to try out any places the show has been to and was wondering if anyone has ever eaten at any of the restaurants the show has covered and can compare actual experience to the shows, as far as food and what not. If that makes any sense I like the show just wondering if the places are as legit as they come across
He did one here in my town of a small hot dog and beer join called weinerworks and yes, 100% place kicks butt. His stuff is entertaining, and he hits some neat places.

I do enjoy watching the show...depending on the places he's at...vegetarian and I'm gone! But have gotten some good ideas as well.

Ryan

I enjoy the DDD show most times. I actually ate at a place called "The General Muir" in Atlanta a few years before it was featured on DDD. It was good as I remember.

There's a fantastic local breakfast/lunch place in our area that the owners have denied DDD requests to be on the show. The place is already packed daily and they did not want the additional exposure and suffer "The Fieri Curse" of not being able to meet demand caused by the show.
I've heard several horror stories about this very thing...

He did a show here on a taco place. He raved, the place is now packed all the time, cars lined up out onto the street etc.

The taco place is just OK. There is far better for sure. We dont go there cuz its just not that great.

Seems like its all show and BS to me.

We just moved in our new home 14 or so years ago…just got the dish working so we’re unpacking and DDD has this place called chino bandido. I thought to myself that looks like it’s around here. Sure enough right down the road. Hole in the wall Spanish Asian and Caribbean fusion and so damn good. We’ve since moved further away but still crave it

The other DDD place was some taqueria in a gas station. Even Guy didn’t seem that impressed but we tried…it was awful. Been closed for a long time now

As far as man vs food, we went to Los Reyes de la torta and the food was really good. We didn’t do the challenge though.

We've been to two places that have been on the show. The first was Mike's Huli Huli chicken on Oahu during our honey moon. It was pretty tasty, but nothing special

And the other is the Tuckaway Tavern in New Hampshire. We stop there for lunch every year on the way to the beach. Absolutely lives up to everything on the show. The chef/owner has won a few GGG tournaments and seemed to be a great person when we met him.

Guy will probably never badmouth the food on the show. The whole poiny is to promote their businesses. But if you watch it often enough, you can definitely learn to read between the lines and figure out how he really feels.

We have been to a few...

Storm Castle Cafe in Bozeman MT......we waited 90 min.... when we got seated at 1pm ish and the wait time when we got seated was 4-5 hours...... all I can say is the wait was worth it!!!!!!!!! It was off the chart crazy good..... it was the best brunch I have ever had! I would get reservations if you go and enjoy.

Red Iguana and Red Iguana 2 in SLC UT..... we have been to both many many times, just very good. Guy has been there a couple of times for the show.... would strongly recommend it and get reservations!

Crepes Expectation in Vegas.....it wasn't good! The success of the show did not help with the quality cause what we got wasn’t even close and the service was very poor.....

Fire Hole BBQ in West Yellowstone MT. Very good BBQ, I’ve talked with the owner, his wife, and his dad....brisket is 225 on at 8 at night then wrapped at mid night then held till lunch.... Ribs are hot and fast at 325 then wrapped and finished low.

They also have a place in Rigby ID, Lt Mike’s BBQ, I take clients there.....fire hole is better because it seems to move food better, but both are good....

All that said if you want a food experience Hells Kitchen in Vegas is just out of this world!!!!!!! I did a post on it a while back.....very highly recommended!

Last edited:
Reactions: TH-n-PA
He’s the local guy who made it big. His first restaurant here before his stardom was called Johnny Garlics. He had a lot of game on the menu like elk, bison, kangaroo, alligator, etc. my daughter worked for him for a while. Both locations no longer exist since he became a thing. He also had a BBQ sushi fusion place downtown that’s also shut down.

About 7-8 years ago I saw him just outside our airport fence quietly looking at planes landing and departing. He looked kind of sad and tired. I was going to invite him in but he looked like he just needed to be alone.

We still see him around here and he cooks a lot for charity events. When we have our big fires and evacuations he’s always out there cooking for the first responders. He’s very generous. We locals leave him alone so he can live a normal life.

I have been to 4 places here in Tampa that were on the show.

CALIFORNIA TACOS TO GO - it was great and then it sold .....and then it sucked and closed quick

DANNY'S ALL-AMERICAN DINER - the food was ok....but that place was dirty as could be and it is also closed

TACO BUS - this place was AWESOME....a real hidden gem. The owner sold out..its been franchised and they are all over the place now. Nowhere near as good as before.

TAMPA BAY BREWING CO. - this place is excellent! Great atmosphere, great food. I love beer but not a huge fan of theirs...but its drinkable!

Wife and I have been to several around MN and WIS. We used to get on the bikes after seeing a place on DDD within a good riding distance. All have been good for us. Boy #1 actually met him while setting up a fireworks show in Wis. Said he was a hell of a nice guy. Brought the crew prime rib, crab legs, and stuffed mushrooms. We still try to hit places when we can.

Wife and I have been to several around the country. Some I have been to on business trips or vacations. As others have said some were good and some were not so great and some have since closed down.

Baltimore, MD
Chap's pit beef. This is one that was very good. Was actually on like 3 different TV shows so figured it was good to make it on several shows and it didn't disapoint.

Lexington, KY
JJ McBrewster's. Ok, nothing special except they had mutton on the menu.

Indianapolis, IN
The Tamale Place. This one was pretty good.

Indianapolis, IN
Jersey Cafe. This was a really good place that made a lot of their own deli met. Has since closed.

West Lafayette, IN
Triple XXX diner. Just average but their homemade root beer is great.

Faibanks, AK
Salty's on 2nd. This was also just average.

I know there are others in the Florida and Tennessee area but my memory is leaving me high and dry at the moment.

Been to a few in the Boise area.

PizzalChik. I thought it was very average. Only tried a couple of things but had both the pizza and chicken. Pizza seemed very average to me. The chicken was solid but nothing to write home about. Was always busy though. Closed a few years ago after the owner died.

Kodiak Grill was pretty solid the few times I went there...even before DDD went there. I think they have been closed for a number of years though.

Westside Drive in was awesome. Don't go there often but it was great before he went there and still has been after he came. Have a crazy menu for a drive in including prime rib on the weekend. Also the chef there invented the ice cream potato.

I saw a show or an interview some time ago about the show and they were talking like he was a stand up guy. He wouldn't give a bad review because he didn't want to hurt the restaurant but after the cameras were off he told them what was off about their food and recommended how to fix it.
Getting on the show will certainly fill your parking lot.

Funny thing is Guy makes something like $38 million a year for that show.
That is not even close to the truth.

By the way, his real name is Guy Ferry and the locals hate the dude because he is an arrogant loudmouthed prick. I've met him several times and I have to agree with the Santa Rosa locals, he really is a prick. His restaurants have all failed because they sucked in a big way in both food quality, flavor and price point for what you got.

A couple in Houston area; T-Bone Tom's in Kema, and Bob's Taco House in Rosenberg. T-Bone Tom's was ok, but Bob's is just mediocre! The wife loves it though, cause she thinks 'popular' equals good....not me.

I have been to many of them. I would say about 1 out of 10 was better than most. San Diego is a great example. Don’t tell me about “good” Mexican food in San Diego when clearly there is better food all around the area.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky