Did I make a good purchase electric smoker??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zierer

Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Hey just bought a new smoker tonight it’s my first one ever I was going to buy the smaller one I think the 130s I believe with the solid black door but chose this one instead for 300 bucks. from what I have read i think I have the hybrid model of the 3 models so with that note do I keep this thing or do I go back and buy the gen 2.5 where the vent is in the correct spot and so on. What mods if any do I need to make to this unit? (Vent position) or anything else, thanks! I’ve also posted a link for the one I bought below

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/941736-masterbuilt-adventure-series-mes-140s-digital-electric-smoker.htmlEC61E6E6-3F26-4A74-B241-20DC14AF90AD.jpeg

Reactions: sm0kin
This is my most recent masterbuilt as well. I don’t intend my opinion to be a deterrent, all of them have some shortcomings at the price point. Since I intended to mod it from the beginning, this may or may not be useful information for you. Out of the box I never used the chiploader, I used an amnps tray. The light is useless. The temp probe is unreliable. The unit itself holds temp far better than the 130 models I believe due to the higher wattage element, but it’s not perfect. Buy the leg kit or a stand or build a platform. I made a mailbox mod of sorts to hold the pellet tray, and I installed an Auber WiFi pid. Now it smokes consistently for 10 hours and holds temp within 5 degrees. I did a mini review that I will attempt to link here in a minute. Technical difficulties lol.

Keep the 140s
Buy an amnps pellet tray.
Get a good wireless thermometer
This unit will serve you well with only minimum additional expense.

Last edited:
This is my most recent masterbuilt as well. I don’t intend my opinion to be a deterrent, all of them have some shortcomings at the price point. Since I intended to mod it from the beginning, this may or may not be useful information for you. Out of the box I never used the chiploader, I used an amnps tray. The light is useless. The temp probe is unreliable. The unit itself holds temp far better than the 130 models I believe due to the higher wattage element, but it’s not perfect. Buy the leg kit or a stand or build a platform. I made a mailbox mod of sorts to hold the pellet tray, and I installed an Auber WiFi pid. Now it smokes consistently for 10 hours and holds temp within 5 degrees. I did a mini review that I will attempt to link here in a minute. Technical difficulties lol.

Keep the 140s
Buy an amnps pellet tray.
Get a good wireless thermometer
This unit will serve you well with only minimum additional expense.
I did already buy the pellet tray due to the fact everything I read said that none of these smokers create enough smoke thanks for your input I’m gonna look into doing the mailbox mod as well I was just curious if the fact the vent was on the right side vs the left was that much of a deal breaker for people. Thanks again

Last edited:
Reactions: sm0kin
Hi, I just wanted to comment on smoke. This is not to be critical of your post about smoke. When it comes to smoke less is more. By that I mean you don't want clouds of smoke. Chips give you that. You will hear the term TBS (thin blue smoke)The AMPS will give you that. 10 to 13 hours is the norm. Many will tell you that you don't need more than 4 or 5 hours of good smoke. Here is a photo of thin blue smoke probably the best example. It is not mine it has been floating around for many years.

full

Hi, I just wanted to comment on smoke. This is not to be critical of your post about smoke. When it comes to smoke less is more. By that I mean you don't want clouds of smoke. Chips give you that. You will hear the term TBS (thin blue smoke)The AMPS will give you that. 10 to 13 hours is the norm. Many will tell you that you don't need more than 4 or 5 hours of good smoke. Here is a photo of thin blue smoke probably the best example. It is not mine it has been floating around for many years.

full
Thanks for clearing that up! I’m clearly learning here lol so any advice is good advice for me! I did also buy that tray so I could use it in my grill to

I did already buy the pellet tray due to the fact everything I read said that none of these smokers create enough smoke thanks for your input I’m gonna look into doing the mailbox mod as well I was just curious if the fact the vent was on the right side vs the left was that much of a deal breaker for people. Thanks again
You will enjoy it for sure. Spend the extra 30 bucks on the mailbox mod too, it’s a real game changer

Reactions: Zierer
TBS or not, I've heard often that many pellet owners wish there was more of a smoke flavor in their meat. I don't think the OP was talking about amount of physical smoke, I think he was talking smoke flavor inside the meat.

TBS or not, I've heard often that many pellet owners wish there was more of a smoke flavor in their meat. I don't think the OP was talking about amount of physical smoke, I think he was talking smoke flavor inside the meat.
I agree with you , but I think you're in the wrong thread .

Lots of White or bad smoke is not what most people want. It is also called dirty smoke. It will give your meat a strong creosote taste. That being said not every one has the same taste profile.The AMNPS is probably the most popular mod. Owners of the tray know you can light both ends if that is what you want and you will still get 6 or more hours of smoke. Not many folks compare their electric to a stick burner or gravity fed smoker. If chips worked so well, people would not buy the AMNPS. Jted

I have burned 2 amnps trays at the same time in my mailbox mod, for large muscle meats I think it’s incredible. I should clarify, I wouldn’t do that with straight hickory, mesquite, or oak! I use blends of hickory maple cherry or oak maple cherry most often.

Lots of White or bad smoke is not what most people want. It is also called dirty smoke. It will give your meat a strong creosote taste. That being said not every one has the same taste profile.The AMNPS is probably the most popular mod. Owners of the tray know you can light both ends if that is what you want and you will still get 6 or more hours of smoke. Not many folks compare their electric to a stick burner or gravity fed smoker. If chips worked so well, people would not buy the AMNPS. Jted

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. I was saying a lot of people have said their pellot smoker doesn't give the meat enough smoke flavor which is why they use additional methods which was my point to the original poster not the amount of good or bad smoke.

I couldnt be happier with mine, is it perfect, for me yes, for others maybe not. Took a bit to learn it but once I did, turns out some damn good food.

I know a lot of folks praise the AMPS tray, cant say yay or nay about it bc I havent used it, but the chip loader works for me. I dont mind going out every so often, not yet at least to reload it.

I do mix different chips, maybe hickory and apple. Experiment and you will find a mix you like.

Mine will be fired up tomorrow with a pork butt rubbed with salt, pepper, onion garlic and a bit of chipotle powder.

Reactions: chopsaw and Zierer
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post.
No ,,, I mis understood , when you said pellet smoker , I thought pellet grill . There was another thread on the subject using a tube smoker in a pellet grill / no smoke flavor . My bad .
I agree with your comment . I have moved to a good quality pellet that's made for the tray or tube . BIG difference in smoke flavor and burn quality .

20180302_101908.jpg
When I did the PID mod I realized the bulb socket had screw terminals so I put a block of wood on the outside of the smoker and drilled through the inside hole out. The manual says 15 or 25 watts but since I wired and shrink tubed a16 guage extension cord for a 40 watt bulb the light is worth while. Plug in on, unplug off. Sealed with with RTV 700° silicone.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky