Dedicated Weber for Kettlepizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

damascusmaker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2015
North East Tennessee
Traded for this Kettlepizza basic kit. Planed to use it on my performer. Turns out due to the heat that was a bad idea. I had this old Weber CL find. I'm in the process of fixing them together as a permanent pizza oven. The fit assembled as directed was lousy with a 1/2 inch gap. Now I have a good fit and riveted the pizza cooker to the kettle.
fullsizeoutput_10eb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_10ec.jpeg
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG

I'm surprised that it didn't fit properly. Nice job on correcting it. I've heard allot of people praise that unit. Waiting to see some results.

Chris

Thanks guys, Yeah the photo with 4 bolts is supposed to be 2 bolts with the holes overlapping. Same fit on my performer as this old kettle, I could stick a finger between the ss and the kettle inside wall. I couldn't stand that! I plan to make a steel for the bottom similar to Kettlepizza's tombstone stone arrangement and some type of upper reflector.

Instructions said to remove the plastic rollers if using on a performer. Research on the weber forum revealed some were seeing damage to the porcelain in the areas where the fire was real hot. The 2012 performer I just got a couple of weeks ago is near pristine, this old CL original isn't. In it cheap and I don't mind to damage it.

DS good to know, can you update if your start seeing damage to the porcelain. I use the Vortex quite often and worry about the damaging the lid on my Kettle. I know the handle can get to hot to pick up without gloves.

Chris

Yeah, I started with steel for my pizza experiments because I have it on hand for other uses. I picked up a stone and used it a couple of times and decided I like steel and cast iron better for pizza.

You do great work . I was thrown by the basket at first , but now I see the heat is around the outside . I passed on a basic kit on clearance at Walmart for 50 bucks 2 years ago . Nice job ,,,

IMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG
fullsizeoutput_10f6.jpeg
Thanks chopsaw,
Not real pretty but Easiest way I could figure to make a tapered basket, after all it just needs to hold charcoal.
Here is the last mod, a deflector for the top. Holes at front and lid vent at the back. Thinking the heat will sweep back over the top of the deflector before escaping. And test burn photos. Should be a video here shortly

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky