Danger Danger Will Robinson !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the input.

I felt like I was not on my own but had Brothers watching over my cook with me.

I took copious notes... like every 1/2 hour.
But these are uncharted waters for me and I just need to get a feel for it.

I have trimmed the bark and the rest tastes just fine.

It is said that the hardest lessons are the ones best remembered.

I think I am doing Salmon next.

You got a lot of good help above, but one thing I want to add:
Cold temps shouldn't hurt much, but Wind is your #1 Enemy, where Mother Nature is concerned.
If at all possible, keep it out of the Wind.

Bear

Reactions: Will Squared
Thanks Bear.
It was still during this Butt cook but my first cook with the Chipotle peppers was extremely windy.
My mind is reeling with all this knowledge its soaking up !
Thanks to ALL !

As previously stated you are fine. But, Boned, Rolled and Tied, is not intact. Removing the bone exposes a portion of the interior to surface bacteria. But 40 to 140 in 4 is a Guideline. There is greater detail below...JJ

Pork shoulder is a very forgiving cut, but also pretty thick. Low and slow isn't necessarily the best thing for it. Aaron Franklin does his at 275F for what it's worth. You can cook pretty much all pork and beef cuts at 275F. The only benefit to going low and slow is putting more smoke flavor on the meat if you feel it's necessary, which usually isn't an issue with charcoal cookers and stick burners. It is only really necessary with pellet burners because pellet smoke thins out above 225F.

Reactions: Will Squared
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky