Curing Chicken Legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I've read a bunch of threads on disney style legs, and want to try them. I'm wondering what would be a good place to start for for length of time in the brine if I was doing the low salt version of pop's brine? I'm going to try just a single pack of 8 legs for the first run. Suggestions, tips or otherwise?

Reactions: kilo charlie
I've read a bunch of threads on disney style legs, and want to try them. I'm wondering what would be a good place to start for for length of time in the brine if I was doing the low salt version of pop's brine? I'm going to try just a single pack of 8 legs for the first run. Suggestions, tips or otherwise?

With Pops Brine, I think 2 days would be ok for legs as long as they aren't ginormous - curing wings only takes 24 hours and there's not a ton of meat on legs. - He stated 2 to 3 days for whole chickens so I'm feeling two days would suffice.

here's the link for reference - https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine.110799/

You are talking turkey legs, right? In that case, I agree with kilo charlie kilo charlie on the minimum brine time with Pop's Brine, but I would take one shortcut and inject them from the thigh end, then use the remaining brine to cover. You can go longer without worries. I like the meat to have almost a 'hammy' look and taste. I use a sausage pricker and poke holes in the skin. I've been temped to lollipop turkey legs and do a full tendon removal, but never have. Maybe try that method on a couple of yours?? Hint, hint.
uD2b3jn.jpg
amU1gr1.jpg

If you're trying to make them Disney style, go with turkey legs.
And go the extra mile by removing the tendons.
Here's an old thread on that:

Reactions: chopsaw
With Pops Brine, I think 2 days would be ok for legs as long as they aren't ginormous - curing wings only takes 24 hours and there's not a ton of meat on legs. - He stated 2 to 3 days for whole chickens so I'm feeling two days would suffice.

here's the link for reference - https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine.110799/
You are talking turkey legs, right? In that case, I agree with kilo charlie kilo charlie on the minimum brine time with Pop's Brine, but I would take one shortcut and inject them from the thigh end, then use the remaining brine to cover. You can go longer without worries. I like the meat to have almost a 'hammy' look and taste. I use a sausage pricker and poke holes in the skin. I've been temped to lollipop turkey legs and do a full tendon removal, but never have. Maybe try that method on a couple of yours?? Hint, hint.
View attachment 529090
View attachment 529091

Thank you both for the replies, but I should have been clear in my original post. I'm doing chicken legs. Sorry for the confusion.

I stand by my time frame for chicken legs.. If your post had said turkey legs I would inject them like thirdeye thirdeye said

I stand by my time frame for chicken legs.. If your post had said turkey legs I would inject them like thirdeye thirdeye said
Gotcha. 2 days it is! Thanks again.
Oops... I should have read the title. Heheheee. 2 days will be fine. Still consider the lollipop.... they make for a nice bite.
I've never done the lollipop, but one day I just might get off my butt and do it. I just want to see how the cured chicken tastes. I've seen a few post where black peppercorns and other aromatics were added to the brine so that may also be something I do in the future.

Last edited:
The lollipop version isn't too bad to do .. I kinda covered the process here - https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cherry-chipotle-lollipops.309303/ - There's also some videos on youtube you can look up.

Just remember that curing them is going to give them a ham flavor/texture so when flavoring the curing brine keep that in mind. You could totally go with the full pickling spice line up ( or a premade store bought version) and use a coriander and black pepper rub and make "pastrami" chicken lollipop legs LOL Dang.. this is a good a good idea

Reactions: mr_whipple
Gotcha. 2 days it is! Thanks again.

I've never done the lollipop, but one day I just might get off my butt and do it. I just want to see how the cured chicken tastes. I've seen a few post where black peppercorns and other aroamtics were added to the brine so that may also be something I do in the future.

I think the guys have you covered.

If there is still time I would also do some thighs. The drums will be good cured and done this way but in my opinion the thighs the uncontested winner between the two pieces and man cured thighs are out of this world!

I discovered the same goes for turkey. With cured disney style turkey thighs there are no tendons or anything in the way of that caveman style bite where you just sink your teeth into a chunk of meat and nothing stops it... pure cured heaven!!!

Last edited:
I do a lot of Pop's brine on chicken . I inject as well as soak . I cook 'em hot and fast . At 2 days without injecting , you're right at the minimum time in my opinion .
Take note of P PolishDeli suggestion to pull the tendons . I've been doing it using chicken legs . Whole different eating experience .

I think you will like it. I run drums pretty frequently and use Pops LS and works great. I prefer to not rush and cure a week. Cool part is since you are using LS you can add a rub or sauce if you want. I smoke and chill then later rub and grill. chopsaw chopsaw Was going to tag you but you beat me. I think you have a few threads with great pics.

I'll probably do them this coming weekend or sometime during the next week weather depending. If it turns out I like it, which I can't see not liking it... then I'll do the thighs.

I'll probably do them this coming weekend or sometime during the next week weather depending. If it turns out I like it, which I can't see not liking it... then I'll do the thighs.

After thighs I suggest you do a whole bird and inject the cure/brine deep into the breast as while so it cures faster. I LOVE doing chickens this way and deboning and eating as bbq chicken. It's amazing!

I forgot to ask... is there a target internal temp I'm shooting for with cured chicken as opposed to any other I might smoke/grill? I see alot of folks say they smoked for so long at 225ish, then finish at a higher temp, but I can't recall any IT being talked about.

I would take them to 180F min. Learned that here. I take my drums to 195F IT. We like it near FOTB, wife and daughters eat with fingers. For cured turkey like in my avatar its a whole different approach like a ham. Cooler smoke, longer, lower IT.

Reactions: chopsaw
I would take them to 180F min. Learned that here. I take my drums to 195F IT. We like it near FOTB, wife and daughters eat with fingers. For cured turkey like in my avatar its a whole different approach like a ham. Cooler smoke, longer, lower IT.

Why would you take it so high? I'm curious for real so if you can point me in the direction that would be swell.

Chicken parts I take up around 195 or 200 . However , I've found that longer brine times taken to higher temp can be to salty for me , but the higher temp is where I like the dark meat .

Last edited:
Reactions: Sowsage and zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky