Creative venison ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Buck # 2 is down, and I only have one doe tag left. With the river rising, we may not get another crack at them so im thinking my yearly wild game processing will commence.
I enjoy this forum so much, I thought I’d start a conversation with hunters here, to share ideas for their favorite way to prepare their venison. Whether it be sausages, cured meats, simple ideas with backstraps or roasts, whatever you like. It if you just want to share a hunting story, fire away. The deer woods are what makes me happiest, and even when I’m not in them, my life revolves around it. So fire away with any stories or secret family recipes you’d like to share.
I’m also going to tan this guys hide, which will be a first for me. Anyone ever do this before?

Attachments

• 9C97B153-A942-4A02-97CC-8EDA4B6129ED.jpeg
    9C97B153-A942-4A02-97CC-8EDA4B6129ED.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 4E1D48D4-F80C-4448-B396-FCC6BEF22342.jpeg
    4E1D48D4-F80C-4448-B396-FCC6BEF22342.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 19574100-4166-4DA5-A59F-97A9C469B06F.jpeg
    19574100-4166-4DA5-A59F-97A9C469B06F.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 52
  • F2782C99-F2B4-4223-822D-40875D1EAD9E.jpeg
    F2782C99-F2B4-4223-822D-40875D1EAD9E.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 47
  • D6828DBE-9AFC-4057-BF49-34454993FEBC.jpeg
    D6828DBE-9AFC-4057-BF49-34454993FEBC.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 46
  • 93692F7B-3EC3-498B-8AFD-8996B8D4DCC9.jpeg
    93692F7B-3EC3-498B-8AFD-8996B8D4DCC9.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 503E6AAF-A2A4-4344-8A0E-8EBCE024564B.jpeg
    503E6AAF-A2A4-4344-8A0E-8EBCE024564B.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Hawging It
Should be some awesome things to come to this post Waiting.
As for cooking game I do plain and simple nothing to remove the gamey taste.

Warren

I like to do pastrami. Makes for great sandwiches!

Reactions: kawboy and 73saint
Buck # 2 is down, and I only have one doe tag left. With the river rising, we may not get another crack at them so im thinking my yearly wild game processing will commence.
I enjoy this forum so much, I thought I’d start a conversation with hunters here, to share ideas for their favorite way to prepare their venison. Whether it be sausages, cured meats, simple ideas with backstraps or roasts, whatever you like. It if you just want to share a hunting story, fire away. The deer woods are what makes me happiest, and even when I’m not in them, my life revolves around it. So fire away with any stories or secret family recipes you’d like to share.
I’m also going to tan this guys hide, which will be a first for me. Anyone ever do this before?
Great idea. I too hunt the whitetail hard here in Southeast Mississippi. Matter of fact in bout 30 minutes I'll be walking back to my shooting house and oat plot behind my house. As for my favorite way to cook deer meat it's very simple. Country fried with rice and brown gravy along with homemade biscuits. Deer sausage dogs a big like as well.
OAT PLOT BEHIND THE HOUSE. .jpg

Reactions: 73saint
Great idea. I too hunt the whitetail hard here in Southeast Mississippi. Matter of fact in bout 30 minutes I'll be walking back to my shooting house and oat plot behind my house. As for my favorite way to cook deer meat it's very simple. Country fried with rice and brown gravy along with homemade biscuits. Deer sausage dogs a big like as well.
View attachment 427211
If you like that, try fried backstrap dipped in milk/egg wash, then in Progresso Italian Bread crumbs. Mashed potatoes and green peas...my single most favorite meal ever.

I always said if I was on death row (yes I even said this as a child, I guess my mind has always been a little warped) my final meal would be fried backstrap!!

Reactions: Hawging It
saint that is a nice buck. Congrats! Hornless here this year an seasons over. Have to make do with 2 does. Here is the things I make with my deer. I take it nowhere. All is done myself with some family help. Burger, bologna, summer sausage, dried beef, canned, chip steaks & keep a few roasts for smoker. All is not made every year. Phew! Just make what is running low. For some reason we are always out of burger.

saint that is a nice buck. Congrats! Hornless here this year an seasons over. Have to make do with 2 does. Here is the things I make with my deer. I take it nowhere. All is done myself with some family help. Burger, bologna, summer sausage, dried beef, canned, chip steaks & keep a few roasts for smoker. All is not made every year. Phew! Just make what is running low. For some reason we are always out of burger.
Us too on the burger. I have ten packs from last year, but we get our burger made from Bergeron's in Port Allen. That and their hot sausage is so good I always try and send some their way.

How about the venison bologna? That sounds good...

I've made some ham out of the hind quarters using pop's brine comes out great, I made some bologna last month came out good. also smoked kielbasi is always one of my favorites.

Something fairly easy:

2 pounds of burger meat
1 pound pork butt
A bunch of diced green onion
A couple diced shallots or small onion
1 T black pepper
8-10 oz of diced pepper jack cheese
3/5 teaspoon cure #1 dissolved in a little water
Whatever else you like

Grind the meat in a medium plate
Mix all the stuff in
Let sit for a few hours or overnight in refrigerator
Fry up a test and modify
Use a 1/2 cup measure to scoop ball of the mix
Put that ball in a sandwich bag
Put the bag in a burger press (cheap plastic one)
Put the perfectly shaped burgers in the freezer
When frozen solid vacuum seal them

To use take out of the sealer bags, which you can easily reuse as the sandwich bags kept them clean

Great harvest. I use venison in bologna and make dried beef out of it. Jerky is next.

If you like that, try fried backstrap dipped in milk/egg wash, then in Progresso Italian Bread crumbs. Mashed potatoes and green peas...my single most favorite meal ever.

I always said if I was on death row (yes I even said this as a child, I guess my mind has always been a little warped) my final meal would be fried backstrap!!
I let the tenderized steaks sit in milk and a lot of black pepper for about an hour in the fridge. Then take out and put in fresh milk and eggs. Then out into flour seasoned with more black pepper. Never heard of the bread crumbs deal. Sounds interesting. I will give it a shot. Thanks

I make a few, I have list a few

Bologna
Lebanon
Mettwurst - See Disco's Recipe here "Old Fat Guy" online. I have it worked out to 10# and 20" recipes and will be making it soon in 20#. My in laws in Memphis loved the german flavor of it.

Sausages - Sweet Italian and Beer Brats, which I have found here. Links should be at the bottom in my Sig.

Venison rolled roast. Take a flat round roast or back strap and slice 1/2" thick parallel to the cutting board. Keep going until it is flat and long. Layer with what every you like and swiss cheese. I did ham and swiss like cordon Blue. Damn that was good.

Hot dogs and snack sticks. I used R Blums pepperoni. I call his hot and my reduction to it spicy. Even the reduction is too hot for the women in my house. The recipes can be found here.

Sure if you feel like sharing.

12# deer
4# pork (boston butt)
Grind twice
1/2 TQ
mix and put back in frig
knead every day for 2 days

Mix all ingredients well:

1# dark brown sugar ( 2# if you like it sweeter)
6 Tbsp. coarse black pepper (1/2 c. if you want it real peppery)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. ground mace OR 1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 c. NFDM
3 c. ice water

Optional:
1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 # high temp cheese

Mix with meat well then stuff

Hang at room temp for 4-5 hrs
Hang in smoker at 130 for hour or so. No smoke to dry casings
Add smoke at this temp for 4 hrs.
Turn up temp 10 degrees/ hr to 170 until IT is 152
Ice water bath to 120

I buy muslin bags from butchersupplycompany.com for this bologna. Any questions just ask.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky