Couple Of Monster Tomahawks On The Santa Maria (Long W/Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Tracy had been gone for the better part of two work weeks and we were sitting on the patio enjoying an adult beverage Friday afternoon. Out of the blue she said she wanted me to do two things:
1) Contact our best friends and invite them over for dinner Saturday. I did and they accepted
2) Cook up some tomahawks and make a nice dinner. I did of course.

Although she asked specifically for the tomahawks I gave her options of prime rib on the rotisserie, chuck short ribs, and eye of round. She stuck with the tomahawk request. Far be it from me to complain :emoji_wink: Got the steaks out of the freezer yesterday morning to defrost for a bit then thought through the rest of the menu. It started out being a simple, basic dinner but somehow expanded into a veritable feast.

The steaks were Certified Piedmontese beef and cut from the 103 sub primal rib sections I got not too long ago. Those were posted but for the benefit of those who may not have seen them, I'll toss a couple pics out there.

Almost 30# of gorgeous prime rib in one chunk
006.jpg

After breaking it down. Had 4 tomahawks, a rack of ribs, a 3-bone prime rib, and some "scraps" that went into a pot of chili not too long ago
011.jpg

Here are the steaks yesterday. One was 2 lbs 13 oz and the other was 3 lbs 3 oz. Total weight between the two is exactly 6 lbs. Should be enough to feed 4 old farts like us :emoji_laughing:
005.jpg

Cut up some jalapenos and green onions to go into the cheesy corn casserole
006.jpg

All the stuff for the casserole
007.jpg

Mixed up and into a baking dish. This will go on the grill later
008.jpg

Appetizer plate with smoked extra sharp cheddar, homemade Cajun sausage, and club crackers
009.jpg

Steaks unpacked. These things are so huge they each get their own roasting pan to rest in
010.jpg

A hefty dose of my beef rub applied
011.jpg

Doing some portabellas in a port wine reduction
013.jpg

An Asiago and herb dipping sauce for the bread we will be having with dinner
014.jpg

The Porto that will go into the mushrooms
015.jpg

I don't think I need to tell y'all what this is :emoji_wink:
017.jpg

Been waiting all day to take this one!!
018.jpg

Corn casserole onto the grill
019.jpg

Mmmm mmmm good!! These steaks are at least 3 inches thick
020.jpg

Special treat for a very spoiled beagle
021.jpg

Wow. Thus far I'm happy
022.jpg

Bread on to cook a bit
023.jpg

Steaks done. Four pics from different angles
024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

Mushrooms done
028.jpg

If ever there was a Heaven specifically for steak lovers, I just walked through the gates
029.jpg

The whole spread. Divided the dipping sauce into two small bowls, one for each couple. Got a nice salad to go along with dinner also.
038.jpg

Money shot
040.jpg

Recently I've gotten a lot more aggressive in cooking steaks. I used to cook them on the lowest heat possible. Was easier to get the temp and not have them get over done as quickly. An extra minute or two at 350* and you're still fine. A couple extra minutes at 1000* can be a disaster. This change in approach started with smoked and reverse seared roasts, them gravitated to steaks. All of us absolutely LOVE the sear / char on the steaks and this was perfect. It adds so much to the flavor I can't even begin to describe it. To a person, everybody said these were the best steaks they had ever eaten, and I have to agree. The meat was spectacular but add open fire, mesquite, and my beef rub, it's an unbeatable flavor combination. The cheesy corn casserole was supreme!! Two servings minimum were eaten bu everybody, except me. I had three. The mushrooms were exquisite!! I've been playing around with different things regarding 'shrooms and this is it. Just fantastic!! Of course, there's just no way to go wrong with a nice salad either. All of us love the fresh veggies in pretty much any form. What's kinda funny is these were the last two of the tomahawks I had in the freezer. I told Tracy that the larger one would be big enough to feed all four of us but she insisted that I do both of them. Glad I listened to her :emoji_wink: I did tell her though that since we wouldn't have any more of the steaks I'd need to order more of the 103 rib sections. She was fine with that...whew!! Please don't tell her tough that I actually ordered TWO more of them yesterday morning. One will get cut into tomahawks and the other will get trimmed a bit and I plan to do the whole roast on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria. We're looking at about 25 pounds of world class prime rib all at one shot spinning in merry little circles. That should feed quite a few people. Anybody wanna join us for dinner?

Well gotta go get breakfast started for my dearly beloved. Thanks for dropping in and have a great day!!

Robert

Perfect job on those steaks. Me and my sons cook tomahawks for fathers day every year. Nice looking meal.

Nice work Robert! That is a nice rack of ribs with meat one it!!!

I can’t agree more with your statement of open flame flavor on the steak! It has magical properties!

oh by the way when I take you up on the invite.....no little slices for me just the whole Tommy for me please!

Perfect job on those steaks. Me and my sons cook tomahawks for fathers day every year. Nice looking meal.

Thank you Jake. Appreciate is sir. In all honesty though that chuck roast of yours is having an impact on me. I'm starting to feel like one of Pavlov's dogs: every time I see it scroll by, I start drooling :emoji_laughing:

Robert

One of those racks would probably kill our meat budget for 6 months, but it's OK to dream, right?

Thank you for the kind words. You might be surprised however at what I get these for. Being that I have the availability to buy wholesale and by default having to buy in quantity, I get these for only pennies more per pound than decent ground beef at the grocery store. For that price, I'll take world class prime rib over ground beef any day :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: SmokyMose
Wow ! That meal looks fantastic! You have some lucky friends,

Thank you but we consider ourselves quite blessed to have them as friends. Also, these meals are never one-sided. Everybody brings something as a table offering, which takes a huge load off of me.

Robert

Fantastic looking steaks and meal Robert!

BIG LIKE!

John

Thank you john, I appreciate it my friend and thank you for the like. Now...don't drop any more ribs so we can see what you've done with them :emoji_anguished:

I once dropped a whole brisket...dog had a field day!!
Robert

Beautiful Spread, Steaks look Fantastic, My Invite must have gotten lost in the mail !!

Gary

oh by the way when I take you up on the invite.....no little slices for me just the whole Tommy for me please!

Very much appreciate it!! Rest assured, when you confirm attendance I'l make certain to have a 4 pounder with your name on it :emoji_wink:. Next big meal though is gonna be a whole 25# prime rib as opposed to individual steaks. I'll slice off as big a slab as you want though!!

Robert

My Invite must have gotten lost in the mail !!

That's it Gary...blame it on the mail service. I think what probably happened is my courier pigeon couldn't find your house and one of your neighbors got it. Maybe that explains the people here that we didn't know :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Robert.....The boy and me have been strongly thinking about adding a rotisserie to the xfire for that very reason......

The boy and me have been strongly thinking about adding a rotisserie to the xfire for that very reason......

I only have three words in response: GO FOR IT!! Something about a rotisserie just can't be beat for a perfectly even cook and retaining all of the juices. You can't go wrong!!

Robert

• Love
Reactions: civilsmoker
That's just perfect. Hey, you need to come up with an official name for your beef rub. Maybe we have a contest? I do like your beef rub recipe a lot.

The meal looks great and the money shot is perfect. Right on ✊

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky