county fair smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coyote

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Took the kids to the county fair last night, they had volunteer work for the 4-H for several hours.Sooo, I just walked around talking to folks and checking out the 5 differnt smokers that were set up selling everything from pulled pork to smoked turkey legs. the smells where great. And I checked out all the differnt smokers being used some folks had several differnt types puffing out tbs. What was surpiseing to me was how filthy they were. some worse then others. grease and black ooze dripping out onto the ground. grease buckets that looked worse then anything I think I have seen. WOW! I was going to get a pulledpork sammie. But passed. I would not eat any thing those folks served. And was suprised they were allowed to operate as food vendors. the smokers i saw there looked to be used often and were never cleaned. Don't now what they looked like on the inside.but what I saw on the out side could not have been any differnt on the inside. just an observation..cheers..

Sigh... but then again...how long had they been there? A couple days of doing butts and you'll have a pretty large load of grease. No excuse, of course. Ya COULD shut it down and clean it once a day.

no Richtee, nothing like that. I can tell the diff between keeping something in good order and neglected, this stuff was road hard and put away wet at all events it looked like.

I clean the outside a mine, clean the floor, I never touch the walls. Been involved with cookin an the resteraunters fer years, kinda like a popcorn popper, ya never clean that pot lessin ya want yer butt kicked by the owner! That's where the taste is cordin ta them.

I thin kinda the same with a smoker, however, no reason the outside couldn't be cleaned regularly an the grease buckets kept decent. Some of it is pride in ownership, some folk just don't care.

It kinda boils down to what be the difference between "seasonin" an what is simply "dirty". Yall find that many in the food industry ain't all that clean. Least ways thats what I've found over the years a workin on the equipment an eatin in more then my fair share a joints.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky