Country style ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Pretty strange looking to me.

P6120948.jpg

I bought them for the amount of meat on them. They do look "different" though. They'll be grilled tomorrow.

Those def aren't CSR's. I am with Jake look like bone in chops from here. Should be great grilled!
They should! I'm going to give them a rub of sweet heat. Then grill with some sweet baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

Surprise.... they are county style ribs. Country style ribs share one name, but are two different cuts depending on where you live. Sort of like pigs in a blanket...., some people think of breakfast sausage wrapped in a pancake.... and others think of seasoned meat wrapped in cabbage leaves.

Most of the US sees country ribs cut from the butt, and they can be (blade) bone in, or boneless.

But on the east coast, country ribs are cut from the loin area, and they can resemble chops like you have, or they can be trimmed back, or split and folded. Here are some examples. They all have some degree of back ribs, plus some loin meat.

IpI81Qy.jpg
3Gujl5F.jpg
fnQQwE4.jpg

Surprise.... they are county style ribs. Country style ribs share one name, but are two different cuts depending on where you live. Sort of like pigs in a blanket...., some people think of breakfast sausage wrapped in a pancake.... and others think of seasoned meat wrapped in cabbage leaves.

Most of the US sees country ribs cut from the butt, and they can be (blade) bone in, or boneless.

But on the east coast, country ribs are cut from the loin area, and they can resemble chops like you have, or they can be trimmed back, or split and folded. Here are some examples. They all have some degree of back ribs, plus some loin meat.
Thanks for the info! I must say ... I’ve been in NY, PA, and NC my whole life, and have only seen them cut from the shoulder/butt ... bone-in or boneless ... this is new to me.

View attachment 449087
View attachment 449088
View attachment 449089

Thanks! I didn't know for sure. I'm on the East coast. But never seen them cut like this before. But. I'm still betting they'll be good.

Reactions: jcam222
at work we cut country style ribs from the first 5 ribs of loin, yours look like they're from a little further up the loin going into the centercut , we call the ones cut from the butt southern style but like mentioned it depends on where you live and what things are called. either way they will be good.

Reactions: chopsaw
I see them like that around here but not already separated, I Iike to cook them whole as they don't dry out as bad imo. Been a while since I done any, wife pu a brisket from Kroger's yesterday, not sure if I wanna cook it tomorrow or Sunday, you got me wanting pork now Steve lol

Reactions: Steve H
at work we cut country style ribs from the first 5 ribs of loin, yours look like they're from a little further up the loin going into the centercut , we call the ones cut from the butt southern style but like mentioned it depends on where you live and what things are called. either way they will be good.

So Jed Clampett would call loin country ribs "eatin' high on the hog", because that's where the choicer cuts are. The cuts closer to the ground were cheaper and became popular barbecue meats.

Reactions: Fueling Around
So Jed Clampett would call loin country ribs "eatin' high on the hog", because that's where the choicer cuts are. The cuts closer to the ground were cheaper and became popular barbecue meats.
not sure the rib end is considered high on the hog, but i'm sure jed enjoyed them :emoji_wink: it's actually the piece of the loin closest to the butt, probably why they taste better then pork chops in my opinion,

When I Buckboard lions, I always keep the rib end, a little fattier and those darker muscles highlight the cure. We have a new food truck in town called Uncle Porkchop, or something like that. They sell breaded and fried loin chop sandwiches. Very good, and decent mark-up.

Those are going to be good! Ive seen this style before and the butt style ones. Around here we also see them cut from the tail end of a boneless loin . when I cut a whole boneless loin I usually cut some. Front of loin is saved as a roast. Then thick cut center chops from the middle and the the tail end is butterflied and then cut into strips . I'm not sure why they refer to them as country style ribs around here but if you trat them like cooking a chop they are great! I like to but mine on skewers after marinating. Below is a picture of how I cut them. Not a great pic but you get the idea.
Screenshot_20200612-194235~2.png

Of course I saw the locked thread on CSR first and then I see Steve's thread. Just last week I had to school my lil sister on the multiple varieties and their differences but I ain't never seen someone call a pork chop a CSR?

That's a pretty cutting board full of pork that Sowsage Sowsage has laid out.

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky