Corncobs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithunter

Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Marion, Iowa
Being from Iowa and all, one thing I have plenty of access too is corn cobs! Just curious how many people here smoke with cobs. What are you outcomes or preferences with these. My buddy uses cobs quite abit and says the put off a sweet flavor and smoke well.

We just picked, blanched, cut from the cob and froze corn yesterday, so I have about 75 cobs drying on a screen right now. I havn't tried it myself but my old gramps used to use them, I will let you know when I try some. Thinking of doin a canadian bacon with some.

i have a bunch saved up, but haven't tried em yet.......keep forgetting bout em, with all the diff woods i have.........LOL

Corn Cobs will give you a light smokey flavor not over powering imo. I bartered with an old native american for his secret to smokeing salmon. Corn Cobs was his secret and since then I when I did fish thats all I used. I haven't used them in my big block but there what I used in my electric smoker. He had 1 more tip on my fish was to let rest 1 hour in the smoker after I shut the heat down. when I did my first batch of salmon he told me i didn't follow his instructions and he was right lol.

My dad ran a grocery/ meat market from 1946 to 1985 (he died, mom sold it) and sold tons of hams, bacons, smoked pork cuts, dried beef, turkeys, chickens - you name it, all smoked with crushed corn cobs. It's the only material he ever used. It has a sweeter smoke than wood. Smolders very well. This was back when farmers shelled their corn and took their cobs to the gristmill to get ground, they were abundant and cheap in 100lb sacks. I know you'll enjoy the flavor!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky