Cooking for a party, need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 28, 2017
Will be cooking for a small party next weekend. Looking and doing two butts and three racks of ribs. I have been having problems mixing ribs in with longer smokes because of the temp differences. I would normally smoke the butts at 275 or higher. 

The party is at 8pm. Probably will be cooking a couple of 8lb butts. Should I start the butts early and cook hot to try and finish them before I start the ribs? I've been trying to use Al's perfect rib method, but because I am smoking other meats the temp is way higher. 

Last edited:
SL Spare Ribs at 275 take 4 hours to tender but not FOB in my experience... JJ

Last edited:
i generally cook  ribs at 275-285  range  so a rack is usually done i find at the 4:25 range for  bb's   and similar w st louis cut  a full rack of spares might be 4:30-4:35 range but  it depends on how tender  you like  them. so if i were  you and you wanted the ribs done around the same time  as the butts,  and you generally know how long you butts take if you're consistent with temps and cooking methods.  id say put the ribs on the last 4-5 hours of  cooking your butts depending on how your butts are going temp wise. use AL's method just adapt to to the higher temps should still come out fine 

Last edited:
Are the butts for pulled pork? If so cook them the day before or sooner and then reheat the day of. That way you can do the ribs at your leisure at the temp you want the day of the party. Long smokes such as pork butts and briskets for a party always gives me time conflicts. I usually have 30 to 40lbs of vac sealed pulled pork in the freezer at all times.

i generally cook  ribs at 275-285  range  so a rack is usually done i find at the 4:25 range for  bb's   and similar w st louis cut  a full rack of spares might be 4:30-4:35 range but  it depends on how tender  you like  them. so if i were  you and you wanted the ribs done around the same time  as the butts,  and you generally know how long you butts take if you're consistent with temps and cooking methods.  id say put the ribs on the last 4-5 hours of  cooking your butts depending on how your butts are going temp wise. use AL's method just adapt to to the higher temps should still come out fine 
Good advice. I'll do a test run at 275 on some St Louis style ribs for dinner this week. 

Are the butts for pulled pork? If so cook them the day before or sooner and then reheat the day of. That way you can do the ribs at your leisure at the temp you want the day of the party. Long smokes such as pork butts and briskets for a party always gives me time conflicts. I usually have 30 to 40lbs of vac sealed pulled pork in the freezer at all times.
That's a ton of pork in your freezer. Unfortunately, I won't be able to cook any beforehand due to a few reasons. 

Got everything today and here is the final plan. Let me know if I am overlooking anything.

10lb pork butt will be cut in half and go on around 9am at 275 or more if necessary. During this time I will throw on a couple onions for a dip that has proven to be good. Once the butt is done it will be put in the cooler. Probably throw the STL ribs on about 530 at the same temp for two hours, then wrapped for 45 minutes and coated with sauce unwrapped for the last 20 minutes. 

Gave myself a curveball and threw a pork belly in the mix. Plan on cubing first and smoking it for two hours. Then pan and cover it for another hour before a last little bit to let the sauce set. All of this will be done at 275 for a dinner set to kick off at 8pm.

Please if you see any major flaws to this plan let me know. Thanks in advance. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky