Convert Dyna-Glo Wide Body Vertical Offset from charcoal to propane

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nursewizzle

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
Has anyone done this with this particular unit? Looking for some advice. I'm not creative enough to figure out how to do stuff on my own :( but could probably figure out how to do it if somebody helped me!

No. I haven't done it with that particular unit.

I would be more inclined to convert it to electric. It would be easier.
I've built several smokers in my day using a hot plate as a heat source, and a can as my chip pan. Or a small skillet.
But I don't cook in my smoker, either. At least , not the way some do.
Smoke in the Dyna with electric; finish cook on the Davy Crockett.

You could cold smoke one day, refrigerate, then finish the next.

Yeah I feel like it wouldn't be enough to heat the smoker all the way to actually cook. Thanks for the advice though!

I did this successfully, makes it very easy to control temps in colder temps. Also allows you to go back to charcoal if wanted. What I did was take the burner from an outdoor fish fryer. You could use a turkey fryer burner too as I believe its really the same thing. The burner I have has a control valve on the regulator to control the flame. I then took the hose off the burner, placed the burner inside the firebox and ran the hose back into the firebox through the firebox vent. Re-connect the hose to the burner, hook up to a tank and used my AMNPS in the firebox too for the smoke. Works great!

Only caution that I have is to not leave it unattended (it kinda makes things set it and forget it but don't leave) and monitor your temps as a sudden drop means the propane burner went out and you don't want propane accumulating in there. Wind can cause the flame to go out but I rigged up an exhaust out of my garage window to keep it more controlled. Just did summer sausage for 18 straight hours with no issues. Not that it matters but I don't have the wide body but they're essentially the same set up so this should work for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky