Cold smoke question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mioutdoorsman

Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
Jeddo, Mi
Hello all.
I’ve never tried cold smoking until today. I used the polish smoked sausage recipe from Stanley marianski’s book. 1kg meat. I cold smoked around 60° for five hours. Can I refrigerate overnight then go again in the morning? If so how many times can I do this? Or how many smoking sessions is usually used? I’ve made the recipe before but always hot smoked it. Any help would be awesome. Plan to hot smoke or water bath after cold smoke.

Thanks,
Greg

FWIW, Unless you can keep the smokehouse temp. below 60*F, I would not cold smoke longer than about 24 hours...just to be safe with Staph. Aureus bacteria.....since you will not be dropping the pH like a fermented sausage. And definitely hot smoke to subject the sausage to heat treatment.

Yes 1/2 tsp cure#1. I was only planning on a few more hours of cold smoke tomorrow morning before finishing it up. I made a batch of Hungarian sausage along with it using some homemade hot paprika so I’m eager to try it.
Thanks for the reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky