Christmas Eve St. Louis Style Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Now that I once again have a smoker with a bit of capacity and reliable temperature control. It time to build up some smoked meats in our freezers.

First some of you might not consider a MES 30" as having some capacity, but try smoking for a year on a Smoke Hollow Portable Grill/Smoker, then let me know! And living fulltime in an RV, anything bigger than the MES 30" would really be pushing it. And yes I did use freezers as in plural, I decide a long time ago that a freezer was more important than a oven in our RV.

This smoke, my second, proved that the mods I did for my MES 30 made for nice even temps, throughout and I was able to use the bottom rack, the ribs on that rack showed just a bit more heat, and I think that mainly came from the very first recovery when I loaded all the ribs. It ran quite a while for that initial recovery and that plus my opening to spritz had the element on quite a bit, but still they were by no mean burned or dried out so I am calling the bottom rack usable. I also had good success with the AMNPS and am loving the combination of it and the MES.

Back when we had the house, I use to do a all day smoke, every 6 - 8 weeks, the use our food saver to fill the freezers, I can't smoke as much at a time as I did back then but it will be nice to grab a "boiler" bag out of the freezer and have fresh smoked meat.

So long story short I asked "momma" what she wanted me to do first, and she didn't hesitate for a second. RIBS. Which is in this house means St. Louis Style ribs with dry rub. Don't let me catch you putting sauce on my ribs!!!

I have always rubbed with olive oil before putting on my rub, but I noticed lots of folks here use yellow mustard. So I did 2 racks of each, very hard to tell the difference when done, but the mustard does give just a little bit of an extra flavor layer, so I will likely do it that way from now on. I let the ribs set for about 2 hours after putting the rub on to develop let them develop a bit of a glaze.

I didn't have any of my go to rub (It was called Sweat Heat by The Spice Doctors out of Slidell, LA - not sure if they are still around :-( ). I had a bottle of Bone Sucking rub someone had given me so I tried it. OK, but not that Memphis style Dry rub profile I like.

Basic 3-2-1 method. We prefer them to come off the bone fairly clean. I don't have to use a toothpick after eating my ribs, but they definitely aren't mushy. Smoker @225, using AMNPS with Pitmaster Choice pellets for smoke.

I spritzed with Apple Cider with a bit of bourbon in it, every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours. Then foiled with tablespoon of brown sugar, 2 pats butter and a 1/4 cup of the spritz mix. There was a bit of spritz left over at the end that might have went in my belly! Then out of the foil and back in to set. They came out just about perfect for the way we prefer them. The ribs themselves were not the best quality, but that is what happens when you decide to do ribs on Christmas eve, this was the only 4 racks of St. Louis Style I could find.

So on to the photos.
ribs1.jpg
After the first 3 hours and getting foiled.
ribs2.jpg
All foiled up with some place to go!
ribs3.jpg
When they came out of the foil and getting ready to go back in to set.
ribs4.jpg ribs5.jpg ribs6.jpg
And the Money Shots!
ribs7.jpg
Finally after cooling, into the food saver bags and into the freezer they go. I will miss them :-)

These are my favorite, between baby backs and spare ribs .. real meaty, nice job and points to you ...

I didn't have any of my go to rub (It was called Sweat Heat by The Spice Doctors out of Slidell, LA - not sure if they are still around :-( ). I had a bottle of Bone Sucking rub someone had given me so I tried it. OK, but not that Memphis style Dry rub profile I like.

I Google searched them and they're in the phone book.My sister-in-law lives in Slidell,I think I'll have to have her send me some goodies!

When I lived in Biloxi (3+ years ago). Redfish Trading (one of those gas stations /combo diner / combo grocery store / combo trinket shop that you only find in the south) use to sell it. They are on Pontchartrain Dr in Slidell, If you sister is anywhere near that area. If you happen to find out anything please let me know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky