Chicken smoked with a pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQchief

Original poster
Aug 2, 2019
having a party and I am smoking 3 pork shoulders and want to through some chicken(breast, thighs and drumsticks) on at the same time. Any suggestions on wood? Timing of smoke(ie: last hour of smoke for pork)?

What temp do you smoke your butts at? Id do whole birds and spatchcock them IMO. Problem is I like to do chickens at a higher temp than butts so I get a crispy skin. Chickens at 300 and butts at 225. You can run the birds probably the last 3 hours of the smoke just to be safe. You can always toss them on a hot grill or under the broiler to help with the skin if you smoke at a lower temp

225 doing skinless breast, skin on thighs and drumsticks (all brined). I was planning on finishing on grill for skin

All my chicken I smoke 300-325. I usually do thighs & breasts. They only take about 1 hour.
When you pull your butts to rest. Throw on your chicken.
For wood I like using cherry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky