Chicken Sausage: Both Smoked & Poached

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
Here’s something a little different: Thai Chicken Sausage. I’ve made a variety of chicken sausages over the years and discovered a few things in doing so:
1. With any good sausage, you need adequate fat. This is especially true when using poultry as it tends to be quite lean.
2. You cant over-season poultry sausage. Chicken-in-a-tube tends to lend itself to getting along with using many other spices and seasonings. By itself, the flavor is VERY mild.

The Thai Chicken sausage recipe I chose is VERY similar to the one I first posted here back in 2011 (a variation of the Len Poli recipe) . I made a couple more variations on this recipe, including adding fresh ginger as well as deciding to smoke half the batch. The sausages starts with eight pounds of thigh and/or leg meat, boned but WITH skins. The chicken is partially frozen before grinding.
Other ingredients to be used:
Thai_Chkn_ingredients.jpg

The chicken gets ground using a 4.5mm plate, along with the cooked rice and roasted peanuts.
Thai_Chkn_grind.jpg

All ingredients are added together into a cohesive, wonderfully-smelling poultry paste.
Thai_Chkn_mix.jpg

I then split the 10lb batch into two, adding the proper amount of Cure#1 to half the load.
These were batches were kept in separate bowls and placed into the fridge overnight.

Next day, the stuffing begins. For natural casings, all I had on hand were 38/42mm hog casings (intended originally for kielbasa) but I made do. I just made shorter fat links. Still kept the half with cure segregated for the smoker.
Thai_Chkn_all_stuffed.jpg

Half into the hot water bath for poaching. Water temp initially around 185-190°F
Thai_Chkn_poach.jpg

Pulled them with the IT reached 165°F—which took about 35 minutes on a light poach. Cooling on a rack...
Thai_Chkn_post-bath.jpg

The other half went into a warm smoker (180-200°F). Light (cherry wood) pellet smoke applied after the first hour.
Thai_Chkn_in_smoker.jpg

After about three hours of smoke, these links were ready. Pulled them and laid them on a rack to cool & bloom.
Here's a side-by-side of the poached and smoked links...
Thai_Chkn_both_racked.jpg

SAMPLE TIME!
Both tasted quite good! Plenty of spice, moist and a little heat. The smoked sausage had more ‘chew’ while the poached link had a softer bite.
Which was 'better'? Tough call. I love smoked meats so my bias should steer me in favor of the smoked link. However, although I really enjoyed the smoked version, I think I prefer the poached links as the smoke tends to mask some of the distinct and somewhat subtle flavors (cilantro, coconut, sesame, peanut) present in the sausage. Either way, we've plenty of tasty chicken sausages on hand! Thanks for lookin'!

— Kevin

Thai_Chkn_sidebyside.jpg
Thai_Chkn_sidebyside_sliced.jpg

Thai_Chkn_plated.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. I only have casings for about 10# of sausage, but one market has ground chicken most of the time. I might mix about 20% pork and try a batch of this for meatballs. Maybe with rice or orzo?

Reactions: couger78
Wow. I only have casings for about 10# of sausage, but one market has ground chicken most of the time. I might mix about 20% pork and try a batch of this for meatballs. Maybe with rice or orzo?
I’ve found chicken to be easily adaptable in a variety of sausage recipes. Pork and chicken make a great bockwurst if ground veal isn’t available. It is lean so additional fat helps.

Very nice . I like chicken for sausage . Has great texture , and really takes the spice like you said .
Thanks for posting , I'll be trying this .

Outstanding, cougar!
I like the looks of the smoked but I'm sure they're both good.
Great post! Like!
Dan

By the way, is the skin where you picked up some fat content?

Very nice . I like chicken for sausage . Has great texture , and really takes the spice like you said .
Thanks for posting , I'll be trying this .
I like using chicken for sausages as well.
As much as my family likes the Thai-style, I think they actually like this sun-dried tomato & basil chicken sausage even more:
sundry_sausage_02.png

sundry_sausage_01.png

Man those are some beautiful chicken sausages!! I may have to try a little keto remake on the Thai ones for sure!!

Here’s something a little different: Thai Chicken Sausage. I’ve made a variety of chicken sausages over the years and discovered a few things in doing so:
1. With any good sausage, you need adequate fat. This is especially true when using poultry as it tends to be quite lean.
2. You cant over-season poultry sausage. Chicken-in-a-tube tends to lend itself to getting along with using many other spices and seasonings. By itself, the flavor is VERY mild.

The Thai Chicken sausage recipe I chose is VERY similar to the one I first posted here back in 2011 (a variation of the Len Poli recipe) . I made a couple more variations on this recipe, including adding fresh ginger as well as deciding to smoke half the batch. The sausages starts with eight pounds of thigh and/or leg meat, boned but WITH skins. The chicken is partially frozen before grinding.
Other ingredients to be used:
View attachment 441274

The chicken gets ground using a 4.5mm plate, along with the cooked rice and roasted peanuts.
View attachment 441275

All ingredients are added together into a cohesive, wonderfully-smelling poultry paste.
View attachment 441276

I then split the 10lb batch into two, adding the proper amount of Cure#1 to half the load.
These were batches were kept in separate bowls and placed into the fridge overnight.

Next day, the stuffing begins. For natural casings, all I had on hand were 38/42mm hog casings (intended originally for kielbasa) but I made do. I just made shorter fat links. Still kept the half with cure segregated for the smoker.
View attachment 441277

Half into the hot water bath for poaching. Water temp initially around 185-190°F
View attachment 441278

Pulled them with the IT reached 165°F—which took about 35 minutes on a light poach. Cooling on a rack...
View attachment 441279

The other half went into a warm smoker (180-200°F). Light (cherry wood) pellet smoke applied after the first hour.
View attachment 441281

After about three hours of smoke, these links were ready. Pulled them and laid them on a rack to cool & bloom.
Here's a side-by-side of the poached and smoked links...
View attachment 441282

SAMPLE TIME!
Both tasted quite good! Plenty of spice, moist and a little heat. The smoked sausage had more ‘chew’ while the poached link had a softer bite.
Which was 'better'? Tough call. I love smoked meats so my bias should steer me in favor of the smoked link. However, although I really enjoyed the smoked version, I think I prefer the poached links as the smoke tends to mask some of the distinct and somewhat subtle flavors (cilantro, coconut, sesame, peanut) present in the sausage. Either way, we've plenty of tasty chicken sausages on hand! Thanks for lookin'!

— Kevin

View attachment 441283View attachment 441284
View attachment 441312
Looks great, been a while since I made sausage. Guess I need to step it up!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky