cheeseburg fattie with bear's mac sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
Northeast pa
20191005_081804_resized_1 (1).jpg
20191005_082110_resized_1 (1) - Copy.jpg
20191005_090106_resized (1).jpg
20191005_110921_resized (1).jpg
20191005_112613_resized (1).jpg
20191005_075306_resized (1).jpg
20191005_112735_resized (1).jpg
I finally got a Saturday off after about 7 month's, wondering what I should make for the games and wanting to try bear's mac special sauce recipe so I made bear's sauce early this morning. then I figured I would make a cheese with onion fattie, so I rolled out the 80% burger added a 4 cheese southwestern cheese and onions, then to my surprise NO bacon,:emoji_anguished:. so I didn't want to make a 30 mile round trip just for bacon so I decided to make it naked. PLEASE DON'T BANISH ME FROM SMF! fired up the pitboss along with the new pellet tube with hickory ,since I wanted to see if it actually stayed lit( worked great) unlike the pellet tray in the pellet smoker. put the fattie's in and cooked at 180 for about an hour then bumped it up to 200. pulled when internal hit 165. all set for the games, but smelling it in the house I couldn't wait for the games, so a little snack. bear's sauce came out good, but in his words "it's a little on the mild side" but still tasty. (I don't think it's your taste buds bear) but I do smoke so maybe mine are shot too!! maybe if I let it sit over night it would of been that much better. thanks for looking. jim

Looks Great, Jim!!
Nice Job!
And Thanks for trying that Mac Sauce!!
Maybe there's still hope for my Taste Buds.
Like.

Bear

Reactions: smokerjim
Looks excellent!
I hardly ever put bacon on the outside of a fattie. I cook it first & put it inside!
Al
thanks Al, good idea with the bacon, the meat does get a better smoke flavor without the bacon covering it. thanks for the like, Jim

Looks Great, Jim!!
Nice Job!
And Thanks for trying that Mac Sauce!!
Maybe there's still hope for my Taste Buds.
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, it was pretty tasty, Yeah I thinks your bud's are still good, Hope your still working in the lab perfecting your sauce. thanks for the like. Jim

This looks incredible and simple. How close is the sauce to the real deal. Great job!
thanks hawging it, it is very simple to make and taste good, next time though I think I would add more cheese. The sauce is good but I don't think it actually taste like a big mac,maybe if ya fry the hamburgs and get the type of bun's they use it might make a difference. thanks for the like, Jim

Reactions: Hawging It
Thanks Bear, it was pretty tasty, Yeah I thinks your bud's are still good, Hope your still working in the lab perfecting your sauce. thanks for the like. Jim

Yup---Trying to figure out what won't change the flavor, except make it stronger.

Bear

Dang that looks good Jim! Like!

Trying to figure out what won't change the flavor, except make it stronger.

Try ditching the sour cream in the sauce. I also start with tomato paste- not catsup and add pickle juice until I get it to the right constancy. Its just too runny to me otherwise. This is pretty much how I have made my own version of this sauce for many years.

Try ditching the sour cream in the sauce. I also start with tomato paste- not catsup and add pickle juice until I get it to the right constancy. Its just too runny to me otherwise. This is pretty much how I have made my own version of this sauce for many years.

There's Zero Sour Cream in my Mac Special Sauce.
I think you're looking at The Sour Cream in the Burger King sauce ingredients.
There's also no Ketchup in the Mac Sauce.

Mac Sauce (as of now):
You'll need:

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons French dressing
  • 4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1 tablespoon finely minced white onion
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Bear

Reactions: browneyesvictim

thanks browneyes, can you post your sauce here(or do you have it posted somewhere) I would love to try it. is it more of a whopper or big mac style. and thanks for the like. Jim

There was a burger joint out here in Oregon years ago called Bob's Burger Express (no, not Bobs Big Boy) That was started by Bob Corey. They were home to 19¢ hamburgers, and also had their own famous special sauce. This was always my absolute favorite! They closed their doors many years ago. But they re-opened a couple of locations and most of them did not do so well and have since closed again. But the one in the Salem mall food court is still open. They have marketed the sauce itself and I have seen it in grocery stores. There are copycat recipes floating around the internet for the secret sauce, but I am here to tell you it's wrong. I worked at the Thurston location in the early to mid 80s. And although they were very protective of the recipe, I did mix up 5 gallon buckets of it from time to time. I have posted the one from the internet. But I will tell you don't use catsup or it will be too runny. As mentioned I start with tomato paste and add pickle juice (basically vinegar and sugar) to get the right consistency. This is supposed to be VERY "tangy" or "zingy". I know this will be right up Bear's alley because its made with Miracle Whip!

bobs sauce.jpg

Last edited:
There was a burger joint out here in Oregon years ago called Bob's Burger Express (no, not Bobs Big Boy) That was started by Bob Corey. They were home to 19¢ hamburgers, and also had their own famous special sauce. This was always my absolute favorite! They closed their doors many years ago. But they re-opened a couple of locations and most of them did not do so well and have since closed again. But the one in the Salem mall food court is still open. They have marketed the sauce itself and I have seen it in grocery stores. There are copycat recipes floating around the internet for the secret sauce, but I am here to tell you it's wrong. I worked at the Thurston location in the early to mid 80s. And although they were very protective of the recipe, I did mix up 5 gallon buckets of it from time to time. I have posted the one from the internet. But I will tell you don't use catsup or it will be too runny. As mentioned I start with tomato paste and add pickle juice (basically vinegar and sugar) to get the right consistency. This is supposed to be VERY "tangy" or "zingy". I know this will be right up Bear's alley because its made with Miracle Whip!

View attachment 407962

That's pretty close to mine:(Post #15-Above)
Except NO Ketchup or Tomato paste in mine----French Dressing instead.
I actually used Miracle Whip, even though mine says Mayo.

Hmmm---That French's Mustard could help mine?!?!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky