charcoal ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's where we shop the most and I can't say I've never seen it there. They did move it to make way for Christmas stuff. You must have just been lucky
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I'm not sure I like the Steakhouse RO as much as the red bag stuff. There seems to be a lot more dust and small pieces in the green bag RO.

I mostly use blue bag Kingsford because its readily available & it is often on sale with 15# twin packs for $10-$11. I also use RO bricks & Sams Choice when I find that on sale. Last year several stores around here had 9# RO bags for $3. Sams choice is made by RO & is a pretty good deal at around $6. About the only lump I can find locally is RO. I try to keep a bag or 2 of that around for grilling steaks, etc.

Speaking of which, have you guys seen this LUMP that Sam's is carrying???

Check out the SIZE of some of the pieces!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

I tried Royal Oak lump once so far and it was a disaster. I'm pretty confident with briquettes - for the time being, I'm going to stick with Walmart's brand.

Royal oak burns really hot and you have to be able to control the air flow. I use briqs when I use the ECB. Main problem with the sams or walmart briqs is the amount of ash. With RO lump I can do a 12 hour brisket smoke in the SNP without worrying about ash buildup. Briqs do give you a long steady burn.

I was at ace hardware last weekend and saw a giant bag of Lump Cowboy charcoal, its basically raw charcoal instead of the burquettes. I don't think I like it to much, you really have to get a fire hot before you can start using it, not easy like kingsford you can just matchlight...

cowboy is a bad representative of lump. RO lump for a widely available lump is pretty good & burns hot and clean.

You arnt talking about the match light briquettes with the lighter fluid already on them are you?

AS for briquettes Im not a fan of the blue bag kingsford(too many fillers, and too much ash). If I am forced to use briquettes it will be Kingsford Competition briquettes.

was at wallyworld and picked up a bag of RO just to see how it was. dumped it in to a storage bucket and found one rock and a cigarette butt........at least it wasn't a hand or foot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky